From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 11:10:54 -0500
What some may not realize is that Kodo's plight will have great impact on
legislation.  I've been there.

If Kodo dies it will be more difficult to get legislation through.

If Kodo lives it will be less difficult.

It doesn't matter how much money is raised.  It is a political issue and
what will be looked at is this particular case.

Here in Kansas I paid an attorney, who knew a legislator, to draft a ferret
bill.  The cost was high and the bill wasn't even accepted.  Another
legislator took it upon herself to draft a bill that was accepted but then
held due to the shedding studies.  The McDowell case was a big issue during
this time and I know it had a great impact on our bill.

I reiterate - the chance of instating ferret friendly legislation will
directly relate to the result of the Kodo case.

Keep the pressure on - contact the national media, animal rights/welfare
groups, talk show hosts, as well as MI legislators and state health dept.

Hugs. tle