From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:12:33 EST
>From:    Dawn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>One thing I forgot to mention in my post regarding shark cartilage, My
>Tazy has lymphosarcoma (cancer that is terminal) and at this point I am
>pulling out all the stops and am willing to try just about anything
>within reason that won't hurt my baby!!!!!

I know the kind of desperation you are feeling -- as I said, I was in the
same circumstances when my Guide Dog had cancer and was on chemotherapy.
I literally did almost anything to rebuild his immune system -- including
having real Chinese green tea imported from Taiwan monthly through a
college professor friend who still had family there -- which once led to a
rather interesting, briefly frightening, and eventually humorous incident
with postal inspectors who thought I might be using the mails to import
drugs.

As I said before, I do not know for sure if the herbal remedies actually
helped Earl, but they did not harm him.  I do know he began to eat better
and remained strong -- in fact, he actually gained weight.  Besides
processing fresh shark cartilige daily, I bought a juicer and juiced
carrots daily and ocassionally fresh pumpkin and added the juice to his
food to increase his beta carotene.  I also added the pulp to his food,
but because ferrets are obligate carnivores, I wouldn't recommend that.
He got a bowl of freshly brewed Chinese green tea twice daily -- Dr. Chow's
mother is a herbalist in Taiwan and he explained that the green tea is
supposed to help rebuild weakened immune systems.

All of the above were in addition to his traditional vet visits and
treatments.  I kept the vet appraised of the things I was doing.

Did any of the alternate methods I resorted to in desperation make a
difference?  I don't know -- and that's the honest truth.  I do know it
made a significant difference to me -- the preparation of the dietary
additives made me feel that I was actively doing something positive to
assist in his treatment -- and that made my attitude more positive, and I
know Earl picked up on that.  Our fur friends are much more attuned to our
attitudes and respond in kind.  If we show worry and fear, they tune into
that.  On the other hand, if we are positive and upbeat, they pick up on
that, too.

I do know that Earl became interested in eating, and was excited by hearing
the blender or juicer working and would literally drool as he sat by my
side waiting for the shark cartilige mush and fresh juice/pulp to be added
to his regular food.  He also developed a positively strange addiction to
freshly brewed Chinese green tea and usually could not wait for it to cool
down before lapping it down.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with Tazzy.  Maybe some of my
experiences can help you.

Scott
Adding Tazzy to the St Jude novena list.