From:
"Michael Schieman, Mee Maw and ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:46:09 EST
A moment later, Dances collapsed into the waiting arms of Gnaws on Wood.
She would never clearly remember the events of the next hour or so.  The
last thing she recalled before sleep overtook her was the soft, loving
warmth of Gnaws on Wood as he lay beside her, and the even softer warmth of
her newborn Kit as it snuggled and suckled in the warm safety of her belly.
Just as her eyes closed, she saw that the Light, which had once frightened
her, was now shining like a beacon through the smoke flap of the lodge,
illuminating the sleeping forms of New Mother, Tree Shaper, Gnaws on Wood,
herself and the newborn Children.

Early the next morning, Tree Shaper and Gnaws on Wood stood before the
gathered tribe.  They each held their newborn Children in their arms and
paws.  A gentle snow had begun to fall, bringing freshness to the air.
Father Sun was just beginning to spread His Light and Warmth through the
upper branches of the sacred spruce tress that surrounded the village.

As the New Light of Morning shone upon their faces, the two new fathers
said in unison - with voices filled with pride, "Our wives have both given
us the Gift of Children this night.  We present them to the Tribe, as is
our custom.  We ask you to accept them as members of our Clan."

Old Chief and Lame Wolf stepped forward and took the Newborns from their
fathers.  They held Them up so that the whole tribe could see Them, and so
the Morning Light from Father Above shone directly into Their faces.  Their
faces shone with a light that was not reflected from the sky.  "How say
you, my people," asked Old Chief, "Do you accept Them?"

A resounding "Yes!" echoed through the camp.

Then Old Chief and Lame Wolf returned the Children to their proud fathers.

"How will you call this One?" Lame Wolf asked Tree Shaper.

"Father Above With Us, shall be His name." Tree Shaper replied.

"So it is," Lame Wolf agreed.

Then the ancient shaman turned to Gnaws on Wood.  "And how shall we call
your Child, brother ferret?"

Gnaws on Wood spoke with a loud and wondrous voice - a voice he had never
used before.  "Jessie," he said.  "Her name shall be Jessie."

"So it shall be," The old shaman replied.  "She is welcome here.  May she
abide with us until time itself ceases to be."

So it was, on that far away night, that God Above gave the Gifts of his
Sons and Daughters to those whom He had created.  He visited many lands,
wore many types of clothing, spoke many different languages.

Jesse caught up with Him as He was taking off the orange robe of a Buddhist
monk.  "There you are, My little friend." God smiled as Jesse climbed up
His beard and kissed Him on the cheek.  "Here, help Me decide.  Should I
put on a sari or a dashiki next?  I'm not done with Christmas yet!"

So it was that God gave many Gifts, sired many Sons and Daughters on that
first Christmas night.  His Children lived and taught the peoples and
creatures they were sent to serve.  Eventually, they all returned to Him
in one way or another, taught Him what it meant to be mortal.  Well, One is
still very much with us.

In the forests and cornfields of a place now called Wisconsin, legends have
been passed down from the Chippewa, the Menomonee, and the Lac Court
Oreilles tribes.  Even the Cherokee, Creek, Apache, and Arapaho legends
make mention of it.

It seems that, on very cold and moon bright nights, many have seen a small
and bouncing ferret leading a merry chase though snow-covered woods and
fields.  Some have even claimed that they saw a large and rotund Man, with
white hair and a fluffy beard, wearing a red coat, trousers, and hat - all
trimmed with white fur - and it seems that unexplained gifts are left
wherever They are seen.

Could it be that Christmas is still with us?

Joy the World! Merry Christmas to all!

Paw Paw

P.S. The complete story is available at:
http://members.aol.com/emssandy/christmas.htm