From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:44:43 -0400
I used to think it was cute when Ashling had me close and reopen all sorts
of boxes for her while she carefully studied what I was doing.  At first
she used the skill to take pieces of Altoids to hide (peppermint, not
wintergreen), but those are small boxes so I could put them out of reach
easily.  Then I thought it was cute when she began going into the toy
storage boxes on her own to retrieve toys to stash.  Finally I found it
downright touching watching her repeatedly show Scooter how to open one
type of box while he sat and observed till he could do it himself.  NOW
she can open all but one type of our storage boxes.  She even opens those
press-down vacuum-lock ones -- even shoe-box size ones -- by gripping one
corner and pulling up with her teeth while pushing down as hard as she can
with her splayed front legs.  The only things safe are in the single box we
have which has hinges on one side, and slashes in one side of the lid and
projections on the body of the box to latch.  The ones which have
projections that fit into a lip on the lid are boxes she can also open --
back against box, push lid out with hands and then push up.  NOTHING IS
SAFE!  WE HAVE ONCE AGAIN LOST AND I HAVE TO REARRANGE THE HOUSE.
Fortunately, STACKS of boxes seem to annoy or bollux her for some reason
even though they are defeatible alone and she leaves those stacks alone.
Wonder how long that will last?  Arrrrgggghh!

Oh, Ashling has a correction to Bob's daffinition of "Lipstick".  It's that
stuff she LOVES to have smeared on her nose.  Meltie used to insist on
wearing it the same way.