From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1992 10:53:20 -0500
Bandit had his first chemotherapy treatment last Thursday & is
doing fine.  His second treatment is scheduled for this
Saturday.  I was out of town for a week, leaving my husband
to hold the fort, and on my return it seemed to me that Bandit
has gained a little weight.  He's now 1 pound 15 ounces.
Jeff says B-man has been snarfing down the Nutrical & Science
Diet like there's nothing wrong with him.

Thought the list folks would be interested in the treatment
protocol, which follows below.  Bandit is being treated by
Dr. K. Ann Jeglum of West Chester, PA.  Her phone is 215-696-1585.
She told Jeff that she has treated a number of ferrets with
this protocol and apparently most have gone into remission (at
least that's what Jeff reports to me -- I will try to find out
more details when Bandit goes in Saturday).  She says we should
see no side effects from this first treatment, and so far we
have not.

I talked with Dr. Karen Rosenthal at the Animal Medical Center,
who oversaw Bandit's surgical treatment there, and she says
this is the same treatment they use for ferret lympho at AMC,
although she says they do blood testing (CBC) every 1-2 weeks.
She says their best case went 8 months on this treatment.

The language is mostly Greek to me, but you can pass it on to
your vets -- and I guess there must be vets on this list, right,
Chris?  I know our vet student-in-residence, Jenny Au, will be
interested (If she hasn't already seen this). Anyway, here it is
(I know it says Feline but this is what they are using):

FELINE LYMPHOMA CHEMOTHERAPY PROTOCOL
K. Ann Jeglum, V.M.D.
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Oncology

This protocol has been shown to be effective in the multicentric,
alimentary and renal forms of feline lymphoma (Jeglum, JAVMA, 1987).
Several modifications have been made since publication to improve
efficacy and ease of administration.  The LA-COP protocol should
be used in the mediastinal form.

WEEK 1  L-aspariginase 400 iu/kg IM, SC or IP
WEEK 2  Vincristine 0.03 mg/kg IV (Do not extravascate)
WEEK 3  Cytoxan 12.5 mg (1/2 of 25 mg tablet) once daily for 4 days
WEEK 4  Vincristine 0.03 mg/kg IV
WEEK 5  Methotrexate 2.5 mg tablet one dose

Blood counts do not need to be evaluated unless the cat is showing
clinical signs of toxicity such as anoerxia, lethargy, vomiting
and/or diarrhea.  It is recommended to continue weekly cycles for
the first 6 months after which treatment intervals may be extended
if in remission.
       END OF PROTOCOL

Dr. Rosenthal says AMC does CBC's every 1-2 weeks to monitor
whether the progress of the cancer, but would defer to Dr. Jeglum
in this case since she is treating Bandit.

For thos interested in the cost, well -- After the initial visit,
Dr. Jeglum's cost is $20 a treatment. Dr. Rosenthal had told me
earlier that AMC charges about $25 a treatment.