Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:15:21 -0700
>From:    Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
>
>just need a good healthy treat to motivate him. Any ideas?

Some may dispute this, but.....

For all behavioral modifications I 'ask' my ferrets to do, I use Honey
Nut Cheerios. Yes..they are grain..yes, they contain. sugar....

But.....'healthy' is not a criteria that should be used in finding a
reward.

One is not feeding bowl-fulls of them...one little 'O', broken in bits,
goes a long way. And I have yet to see a ferret that won't spend hours,
trying to get at the container that has the Cheerios in it. Mine will
sit and stare at it..high on a shelf...thinking, of course, they will
be able to use telekinesis to knock it down!

The idea of a reward for doing something, is to provide a 'something'
they will jump through hoops to get. Kibble is nice, but..ho
hum...won't be long and they will simply ignore it. Ferretone is too
messy to use as a reward...some cat treats are pretty tempting to a
ferret.

Just remember, when trying to find something to reward your performers,
it has to be something that they go ape...errr...ferret over.

MC, The Rude One With Rudy and Tumbles, in charge of training the old
geezer!