From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:23:20 -0500
Hi everyone,
I feel sure I am not the only ferret parent on the face of the earth that
has sloppy eater-drinkers for "children"!  Some of the little stinkers
manage to get kibble bits and whole kibble pieces in the water dishes every
time they eat.Ugh!Perhaps they are auditioning for a "stays crispy in the
water dish" commercial or something, who knows.  Or they just like to dunk
their kibble to save their jaws for better things, like biting the neck of
the nearest girl ferret.  Well as most of you know, ferret food has (should
definitely have) a high meat protein content and meat spoils rather
quickly.  Soooo they end up with skanky water shortly after they have done
their messy deeds.  The water in the dishes needs changing more than once a
day.  Also, I feel it is important to wash the water dishes frequently too.
I must tell you right now that I do not have a solution to this problem.
Sorry.  Just empathy.  And I guess I wanted to bring it to the attention of
those of you who might not have noticed, too.

I think of the folks that have the water bottles.  That is probably a
really good thing to save having to change the water more than once a day.
Only thing is with that is that my ferrets are not caged at all, and some
of them could not manage to get up into the condos to get drinks (age and
disabilities)One point on the water bottles---It is really easy to hang
them and forget them, only checking to see that they are not empty!!  Would
you or I want to drink water that has been sitting around in a bottle for
days??  No we wouldn't and our ferrets shouldn't have to either because
bacteria of all sorts grow in the water over that time.  So may I encourage
you to change the water in the bottles every day or two at least, and wash
the bottles weekly?

And on the water dishes, it is not hard to just get into the routine of
changing the water say, twice a day instead of once, and also when there is
noticable food bits in the water.  I do it without even thinking anymore.

Happy day to you all.  Jan and the furry dozen at Gracie's Place in the
Land of Oz.