From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:25:51 EDT
>...do a large majority of subscribers care to see more about BFF's?

While others may agree or disagree with me, I think that BFF discussions do
belong in the FML.  I wouldn't want to see the entire list be devoted to BBF
discussion, but the occasional reports and comments are quite welcome in my
opinion.

Why do I feel the FML is a place for BBF news?  Well, in the public eye
ferret = ferret.  It doesn't matter that the black-footed ferret is no
closer a kin to the domestic ferret then a mink or a weasel, it's a ferret
to the uninformed public.  It's the name that they connect and to them the
black-footed ferret is often just a wild and undomesticated version of my
little fuzzle-heads.

Family, friends, and co-workers all know I'm a ferret person.  When they
read something or see something on tv about the BBF, they always tell me.  I
try to set them straight that a ferret (as in BBF) doesn't equate with
ferret (as in domestic).  I tell them they are cousins - just like they are
with weasels and minks.  I also give them information that I have found out
on the FML and from other sources about the BBF near demise, discovery, and
their road to (hopefully!) recovery.

I think it behooves us all to be informed about the BBF so we can set others
straight.  Unchecked the connection between our little pampered house-ferts
and the extremely endangered wild BBF's could help to perpetuate the ferrets
as wild animals myth.  That's not good - as I'm sure the CA folks can tell
you!  The occasional BBF post here helps to keep us all up to date on BBF
issues.

Just my $.02....

-kim, squirt (I've got dark feet. Am I a BBF?), pippi (get real, squirt! You
just want special treatment!), atlas (black feet?  I don't clean my feet.
They can get pretty dark and grimy sometimes!), and jinx (I nip feet!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.