From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:31:11 +1000
Hi guys.. I know I stir up trouble a bit :) sorry..

any how I am currently researching some of my arguments on early
desexing.. nothing concrete yet ( except commonsense) but I have
another issue I want to raise..

sorry if this has been raised before..

But I see a lot of "issues" with deaf ferrets, which particularly bothers
me, when we all seem to know this is associated with "selective" breeding
in order to get "colors"

I am sorry if this has been raised before, but was hoping for some
feedback ?

I am not sure about the USA, but we have similar problems with dogs, (in
Australia) where selective breeding for particular traits has also
introduced genetic problems, ( a prime example is hip dysplasia, or worse
the "pug breed " who can actually pop out an eye, from sneezing too
hard)..

Anyhow I find it rather bizarre that after the thousands of years of
careful breeding it took to turn a wild animal into a placid fun loving
domestic housepet, we are now not only seemingly and randomly breeding
for colors, ( rather then personality, docility, robustness and lack of
health issues), but, on top of that we are introducing genetic defects
just for the sake of "pretty colors"

sorry but introducing defective genes just for the sake of "cuteness"
bothers me... I myself would love to own a panda or silvermitt..  but
not at the sake of the possibilities of genetic disabilities..

do others have feeling on this ?

Darrin