Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:50:53 -0600
While I haven't looked recently, I did do a search on the internet over
several days to find references to chocolate and animals.

The only animal that it is *known* to affect is dogs.

With dogs, there is no weight to chocolate given as to what is bad.  It
depends on the individual.  However, theobromine is the substance that
is toxic.  It is more concentrated in less sweet chocolates, that is the
more sweet the less theobromine.

But, as I said, chocolate has only been shown to be toxic in dogs.  Not
in cats, ferrets or anything else.

Do I feed it?  Occasionally.  Never had a problem.  The sugar in it isn't
good but like I said, occasionally.

BTW, I also use cream for duck soup at times.  Not a problem either.  If
dairy is given in small amounts, it won't hurt them.

Maggie

[Moderator's note: Ah, one of my favorite topics!  I almost always chime
in when the topic comes up!  Re the amount that affects a dog: The Merck
Vet manual does give a range of toxicity for dogs -- i.e. the amount of
chocolate that will typically kill a dog of a given size.  Dark chocolate
is MUCH more dangerous than milk chocolate.  The one-time quantity of
chocolate needed is fairly large, but if you have a small dog and a big
bar of baking chocolate you can be in big trouble.  I, too, don't beleive
chocolate is particularly harmful to ferrets.  MY opinion, anyhow.  BIG]