From:
Jason Hockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:50:59 -0400
First off, I'd just like to say hi to everyone, as I'm pretty new to the
internet ferret community.  And what a fine community it is I might add.

My question is this: one of my fuzzies, Pepper, an approx.  2 year old sable
female has a abnormal growth just above her hip.  I first noticed it a few
weeks ago while giving her a bath.  The growth is about the size of the
width of a ball point pen, and has a blue-green color.

Immediatly I made an appointment with the vet, and did some research.  The
closest description that matched her little lump was Mast Cell Tumors.  I
made my diagnoses as such, but waited to see what the vet said.

I brought her into the vet, who seemed to be rather stumped at the
situation, so I mentioned Mast Cell Tumors and immediatly she concluded that
that's what it was, and informed me that surgery to remove the tumor would
cost between $250 and $300 (based on 10-20 minute surgery).  I simply cannot
afford that right now.

My concern was that the veterinarian seemed a little too quick to accept MY
diagnoses, and not to make a proper one of her own.  The only problem is
there's no other vet's I can bring Peppy to, as they all refered me to this
one, so I can't get a second opinion.  I know that any and all lumps and
growths should be removed from a ferret, but the thought of putting my fuzzy
(and myself) through the stress of unnecissary surgery is less than
attractive.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to know if you
know what this in fact is, or could be, and if there is any natural
alternatives to it.  I don't beleive that a ferret (or any animal) should be
chopped open for every growth, swelling, and blockage.  There's always
another way.

I would also appreciate if you guys would stop by my site:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/1069/index.html

I'd like some input on the accuracy of my ferret medical info, as well as
anything else that could be added.  I've only owned ferrets just over a
year, and my knowledge is somewhat limited in this area.  Informations on
alternatives to surgery would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks for the time everyone.  Say hi to your fuzzies for me.  =)

Jason
Pablo
Pepper
Puff