Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:28:13 EDT
This was in todays FML. It brought to mind the number of people who
wrote a few months ago that they kept their ferrets in an un-insulated
garage. Here is what was written on the FML today:

Custom playpen

>By the look of it, the ferrets will be staying in  the garage for the
>time being.

Where are you located? In most parts of the U.S., it is entirely too
hot to house ANY animals in the garage during the summer. Can any other
arrangements be made?

{My definition of a garage is an unheated/uncooled enclosed room where
tools, chemicals, and sometimes cars are kept, with little ventilation.
Others definitions may vary.}

And here is information I asked an esteemed ferret group to look up, as
I was sickened by the thought of ferrets in an un insulated garage with
little ventilation and no heater or air conditioner.

"FAQ"

http://www.ferret.org/read/faq.html

Item number 12 will address your question

12. Are ferrets cage animals?
[Moderator's note: Text removed from FML for copyright compliance per
website. BIG]

Here is another response I received. It gave me great comfort to read
this.

Dr. Lumsden,

As you know ferrets are social animals. They love being with their
human and ferret companions. They are not cage animals and never will
be. They should be out of their cages at least 4-6 hours per day. If
a ferret is kept in a garage and never has any interaction with their
human this would be detrimental to their health and well being.

Ferrets also do not sweat so temperatures higher than 80 degrees can be
a serious danger to a ferret. Extreme cold is also a serious danger.

Please review the AFA web page below and read FAQ #12.
http://www.ferret.org/read/faq.html

It is not acceptable to keep ferrets in a garage that is subjected to
serious extremes in temperatures.

(We value your membership and hope you will renew it.

Thank you for writing to the AFA.

Lisa Vible
AFA Education Director)