From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 20:35:22 -0500
to:Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Can someone help Honker??

>I am currently boarding a ferret who is in pretty rough shape at the moment
>and I'm not sure what I can do to help her out.

Get Honker to a vet a.s.a.p. This ferret needs intensive supportive care now!

There has been a few listings regarding ferrets that are being pet-sitted or
boarded and what to do when it gets sick.  This list is intended for the
people who make it a regular practice of boarding pets for free or for
money.  People who occasionally board ferrets might find some of the ideas
helpful.  Some recommendations on boarding pets (of any persuasion):

1.  Practice strict hygiene, especially if you have pets of your own.
Ferrets are prone to getting some really nasty stuff (such as ECE) when
exposed to other ferrets.  A separate isolated room to house your boarders
is best.  Invest in a good quality disinfectant such as roccal (yes, bleach
is cheaper but I feel that chemicals made for heavy duty disinfecting is
best).  If you can, avoid boarding sick pets.  We do it here at the
Hospital, but we are equipped to handle contagious stuff.

If you have to board sick pets, they deserve a separate area ALL TO
THEMSELVES.  It is a disservice to the healthy pets that might get sick and
the sick pet is more susceptible to disease so it might get sicker.

2. If when boarding the pet gets sick, it should go to a vet. To be prepared,
have a ferret wise vet handy. If the ferret gets too sick (or even dies) and
it was not presented for medical attention, you were negligent. If you are
not ready to be responsible to this degree, you should not be boarding pets.

3.  All owners should sign a boarding agreement outlining length of stay,
fees and what to do in the case of an emergency.

An emergency number to reach the owners or a call in schedule by the owners
or the number of a responsible person (who has permission, best written, by
the owner to make medical and financial decisions) who is over 18 is
necessary.

Next, have the owner initial a clause that outlines whether the owner wants
to do in case of an emergency.  I like the options of: a) do what is needed
and I accept full financial responsibility, b) do what is needed up to a set
monetary number (to be filled in by the owner) or c) do nothing until
contact with the owner can be established.

to: "Scott B. Maitland" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ferrets and Cancer and Misc.

>Do any of the vets have an opinion about why ferrets are so susceptible
>to cancer?

It is probaby a species specific trait or reaction to unknown things.  For
example, virus infections can cause lymphoma in cats.  In terms of spleen
cancer, most of the cases of enlarged spleens I see are not cancerous but
the results of excessive reticulendothelial stimulation, etc.  Dr.  Williams
has a good possibility that chronic infections (such as ECE) might play a
role.

Ask the question next year and you get more information.

Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP