From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 18:16:03 +0000
Karyn Otta writes:
> Subject: Treats?

When I first got my ferrets, I didn't realize all the neat stuff for treats.
So they were closing in on a year before I tried stuff like Ferretone and
raisins on them.  And it was a struggle!  For new liquids, I put a towel in
my lap, scruff the ferret and lay them on their side on the towel.  Then I
put drops of liquid in their mouths to taste.  For solid food, such as
raisins, I chop it up into very small bites, scruff them and pry their
mouths open and press the food to a back tooth.  After 2 or three times of
either method, I can usually get the ferret to accept the treat on their
own.  They just have to be convinced that they do like it.  ;-)

William writes:
>Anyone ever heard of a floating ferret??

Yes.  Actually my boy Ollie floats around the tub during bath time.  It
seems to put him in a zen state.

Ola Wes:
>sick ferret, cold rooms

When Ollie first got the flu last month, he was extremely congested.  But it
wasn't in his nose and he wasn't sneezing.  I could only here it when I put
my ear to his chest, and even then it was very hard.  His fever was around
105.  Your baby sounds sick.

As for sneezing at the pet store, what kind of bedding are they in?  If kept
in cedar or pine chips, they will often develope a resperatory irritation
that will clear up after being removed from the irritant.

Cold rooms- my whole house is cool.  I keep it around 60 at night.  I cover
the top floor of the cage to give them a warm dark place to sleep.  More
often thought they sleep in the bottom of their dresser.  Yes, they have one
all their own.  They all seem to like it cooler.  When not extremely cold
outside I will turn off the heat and crack open a window.  I will do this
even when its in the higher 40's for the fresh air.  The fuzzies seem to
love it.  Remember that if there are no drafts, and they pile on top of each
other, body heat alone will raise the temp of their sleeping space.

Mo' Bob C writes:
>No, I'm not staying up all night figuring out ways to bore you.

Sure Bob, sure.  For not trying you are doing a great job!!  Just because
you are having to endure some punishment doesn't mean you have to spread it
around.  ;-)

Tammi Meade writes:
>Subject: 5 MO Sable Jill - Biter....

I have had several biters in my house.  Right now it is mainly age, she just
doesn't understand that you don't have that nice tough ferret skin.  I will
say no, waggle my finger at them.  Maybe a tap on the nose if they are
persistant.  For the really stubborn ones, I will scruff and lay them on
their sides till the relax.  After any of these methods I will pick up the
ferret and love on them to make them understand it is the biting and not
them I am angry at.  I have had great success with these methods.

Hugs to all,

Mad Maggie Mae and the Mizzou Mustileds