From:
"Hudson, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:00:32 -0500
Okay, my two cents about the shelter debate.  My first fuzz, Peanut, came
from a small caring pet store that only has a single ferret at a time.
The owner, Sandy, had spent quite a bit of time with him and insists that
Peanut return for visits when we come in for food/supplies.  I know 95% of
pet stores are not like this particular one and Sandy is a gem among people
and animals!  But, when I made my decision, I had NO clue as to the
population of ferrets in this country.  I guess naively, I just everyone
would have to love their little charges just as Sandy did!

My family has just grown to 7 fuzz babies (as of last night), and all but
Peanut are rescue/shelter/SPCA adoptions.  I believe that almost everyone
reading this post who are considering a new ferret, will go through a
shelter/rescue.  If we care to be involved in this group, I would hope we
care enough not to support the large ferret factory breeders!  But, what if
I decided I wanted a new kit?  I've only experienced the joy of raising
Peanut.  Where would I turn?  Don't we need the caring, responsible private
breeders for these instances?  Back to the point, WE know about the
shelters.  Instead of telling each other what to do, can't we at least try
to find a way to teach the rest of the country the valuable lessons we've
learned?  There are almost 3,000 people reading this e-mail, plus how many
more that it is forwarded or printed for.  Like every family, we have the
same intent and hopes, but with slightly varying opinions and exact
definitions.  I wish I had known 18 months ago about the number of shelters
that exist and the wonderful animals that help.  But, I know today and
everyone I speak to about my ferrets, I stress to them the importance (and
cost savings) of adopting through a rescue.

Am I correct in stating that the real concern here is the MF type kits
purchased at large chain petstores because they look so cute and cuddly,
only to grow into pets that need attentive care?  If true, let's focus on
that, let's talk about ways to educate those impulse buyers.  How do we get
the petstores to cooperate with distribution of literature, etc?  Shouldn't
they be our goals and concerns?  I would not purchase a kit from Petco, but
what about the mom with the child that walks in behind me?  She's never
read the FML, let's focus on her, not each other.

Jen