From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:48:51 EDT
Gads, it was like giving birth to a 30 pound watermelon, but Ferrets for
Dummies is finished.  I still hate the title, but what can I do??  It's
400 pages long with both color and b&w pictures.  Lots of good stuff, I
think anyway.  But I'm the author.  I believe the ISBN # is 0764552597

The publication date was moved from sometime in October to September 7th
due to a huge demand by all 500 Petco stores that it be on their shelves
for some sort of "Ferret Awareness" week or something like that.  It should
be available to you by the middle of September or a few days sooner.  I
don't know yet.  The stores may have the book before I even see a copy of
it.  My editor just sent me the color insert because she was missing 2
captions and needed them pronto - also saying nothing else could be changed
at this point.  I found 2 majors typos on captions and I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that she only said no changes to prevent me from making
unnecessary changes.

I'd like to thank the following people for reviewing parts or all of the
book and providing feedback, support and or quotes: Bob Church, Dr. Kate
Ball, Dr. Karen Purcell, Dr. Deborah Kemmerer, Dr. Mike Miller, Lisa
Leidig, Linda Iroff, Mary McCarty-Houser, Norm Stilson, Julie Fossa, Kim
Rushing, Denise and Mike Orlowski, Hildy Langewis, Faith Hood, Pam
Troutman, Kurt and Sara Petersen, Emma Stretton, Amy Flemming, CJ Jones,
Vickie McKimmey, and Samantha Pfaffinger.

And thanks also to people who provided tidbits of info from ferret facts to
pictures to wacky definitions to general support and other things: Hildy
Langewis, Bob Church, Margie Szelmeczka, Sandy Repper, Sherri-Lynn White,
Isabelle Doiron, Debbie Hunton, Sukie Crandall, Nancy Sanders, Jean
Caputo-Lee, Rebecca McFarlane, Jen Taylor and Bob Martin.  Did I forget
anyone???????  Please it isn't so!!!!  I tried very hard to keep track of
my supporters!

There is a huge shelter appendix in the back of the book.  Due to space
limitations, my favorite appendix (Definitions only a ferret owner can
appreciate) was cut.  BOO HISS!!!!!  That was cut along with 2 poems.
They will be put up on my website.  www.animalsforawareness.org

I was told that if there are blank pages in the book the editor will throw
in definitions that are funny, but related to the chapter contents.

For those of you who add it to your library, I hope you enjoy the book!
Best regards,

Kim
and the Zoo
(including 20 ferrets still needing a permanent home)