From:
John Byerly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:17:07 -0700
Wow did I have a heck of a scare yesterday.  The furkids went to the shot
clinic held at a local pet store for their last of 3 distemper shots.
The vet said they had switched to Purevax-D and touted it's low reaction
occurances.  All three of them were find with the previous 2 shots with
the original distemper shot so I was not really worried.  Jaws the Carpet
Shark and Teddy Bear were fine but Cinnamon reacted very very badly.
One second, she was fine, the next her tounge was deep blue, she was
non-moving and her tail was bottle brushed.  I always wait after the
shots so I took her right back up to the vet who was doing the shots and
he gave her .1 ml of benadryl and we waited to see what would happen.  It
didn't seem to have much effect, so he gave her dex and a steroid and
sent me to the Animal Emergency Room.  By the time I got 2 blocks away,
she was recovering so I called the vet on his cell phone and he said
bring her back to make sure she was okay.  Other than her stressing at
seeing him again, she is doing fine.  I think she equated her being sick
to him because she was fine after getting away from him.  She is sitting
on my shoulder doing fine but it was really touch and go for a while
there yesterday.  Is there somebody I should report that she reacted to
this new vaccine to?

John the hooman pet of Cinnamon, Jaws the Carpet Shark, and Teddy Bear