From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 14:01:38 -0500
How many human society shelters do you go in and see ferrets?  In my area
none.  But there are hundreds of cats and dogs!  I know there are many
ferret shelters that have ferrets that need to be adopted, but do you
realize the average ferret owner has 5 - 8 ferrets?  Infact, the posting
right after yours was somebody looking to get another ferret.  I have people
calling me for ferrets all the time.

>...because the kits are not cats or dogs, they suffer unbelievable
consequences.

This is an ignorant statement.  How many dogs and cats suffer unbelievable
consequences?  I think dogs and cats suffer more abuse and neglect.

>The answer is for the ferrets to stop being bred.  There is no other answer.

This is not the answer.  The answer is educating the public so they know
what they are getting into - but even so there will be those people that
will abandon the animals - just like they do with cats, dogs, etc.  There
are always those people that only like babies.  The answer is for breeders
to breed responsibly.  Remember the average life span of ferrets is 8 years -
give or take.

>Please go into another line of animal sales.

Are you wanting another species of animal to go through exploitation?  There
will always be those animal brokers that are in it to make a quick buck.

My 2 cents