From:
Karen Balle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 04:17:54 -0400
>First let me say that this is not meant as a flame.  I do understand
>the unexpected does happen.  That said...

>Please everyone.  I'm begging you.  Please tell everyone you know.  If
>you can't afford vet care for a ferret, DO NOT TAKE ONE INTO YOUR HOME.
>There have been at least two posts in the last week, I've seen, that
>have been asking for someone to take their ferrets because the person
>can no longer afford to care for them....

A few weeks ago, I was talking with Lynn and a few other ferret owners.
She passed along something that someone else had told her that I had to
stop and think about.  She said it as it relates to ferrets, but I think
it's the case with any pet you go to get.  If you can't afford to put
aside $1000 per year per pet, you should consider not taking it into your
home.  While I can come up with money for vet care, I don't have that
kind of money set aside right now.

Guess what I decided?  No more pets for me until I have done at least
that much for the ones I have.  I also have a Great Dane and all of their
medical treatments are more expensive.  For a two week term of the least
expensive antibiotics, it runs around $100-150, so I'd like to set aside
more for her.  I have four ferrets, all rescues from Rocky's and I go up
there as often as I can to help out.

I may have to skimp a little on the Christmas gifts for my pets this
year to do so, but I feel like I'll be giving them, and myself, an even
greater gift than that spiffy new toy.  The gift of guaranteed medical
care and less stress for me if something does happen.  I'll know that I
have the funds to take care of them, no matter what happens and that
peace of mind is worth a few sacrifices to me.

--
Karen Balle