From:
Jennifer Rasel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:24:49 -0700
Hello folks,

I am sending the following message from Nanci Frazier of Motor City
Ferrets per her request.  She runs a shelter in the metro Detroit area,
but does not subscribe to the FML.  I forwarded yesterday's digest to her
because of the Michigan post.  She responded by asking me to send the
following.

"in regards to this posting:

>From:    Ferret Girl <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 2 Michigan Ferrets Need a Home - FAST!
>
>Posting the following for a co-worker who does not have net access.
>Please contact owner directly at Lisa Wezell, Cell phone:(810) 287-4133
>
>***************
>
>Two males-sable, 2 1/2 years old.  With all current vaccinations,
>neutered, papers ...
>
>Supplies include: bag of food, litter, cage, shampoo, ferratone,
>laxative, hammock, water bottle and food bowl, the papers they came
>with, scooper, and some small balls they love to roll around.

i am dismayed to read this posting and totally confused as to what's up
here.  this lisa wezell adopted these two ferrets from the kalamazoo
ferret haven rescue of kalamazoo, michigan on august 29 of this year.
as of the follow up call from kim of kzoo ferret haven one week post
adoption, all was well.

kzoo's adoption contract clearly states that an owner must return any
adopted ferrets to the shelter if they can no longer keep them.  i can't
imagine this woman has forgotten the adoption contract she signed just a
few short weeks ago.  additionally, if she's having some kind of trouble
with the critters so soon i have no idea why she wouldn't have called on
kim in kzoo for assistance.  kzoo operates in the same fashion as my own
rescue and therefore supports adopted ferrets in any way possible post
adoption.

kim in kzoo is not a regular reader of the fml.  nor am i for that
matter, but luckily i have a friend who sends along relevant michigan
posts. :)

kim will be contacting lisa as time allows during the weekend (we've
spoken via telephone and her schedule is rather hellish for the next
couple of days).  meanwhile, if this message reaches the friend who
posted the original message perhaps you would kindly remind lisa that her
responsibility is to return the ferrets to the shelter she adopted them
from just a few short weeks ago.  there are many reasons why doing so is
necessary, including relevant michigan law.  i truly hope this situation
is simply a case of lisa not fully understanding the adoption agreement.
lisa need not worry about wanting to get rid of the boys; sometimes
things just don't work out for a variety of reasons.  sure, kim would ask
lisa the same questions i would..."you adopted these boys recently...is
there a problem or problems that could be worked out?" in hopes she might
help, but if lisa's decision is made there's no shame in simply saying
"just can't keep 'em." kim's concern is for the critters, period.

nanci frazier
motor city ferrets"