From:
Stephanie Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:45:24 -0700
Julie,

I go to Dr. Bruce "DOC" Lindsey, in La Jolla.  Don't let the "La Jolla"
throw you off.  He's very caring vet and the animals are the "IMPORTANT"
issue here, not paddy his wallet.  (858) 454-0354.  He did Gracie surgery
when she was 3 years old (2 years ago) and she has been back to her
little "Queen Snot" ways, Her NORM.  (I have an appointment today with
him for Moose.)

When I first got into ferrets, 4 =BD years ago, I went to Dr. Lokkin, She
is GREAT!  Loves Ferrets she has since moved from National City to Rancho
San Diego Vet with Dr. Rosanne Brown (619) 660-6767.

Dr. Jenkins is great too, I haven't been to him personally, but I know
several people, who love him and his associate.  (619) 260-1412 Fashion
Valley area.

Dr. Cote, Mira Mesa Area.  I have friends that go to her and thinks she's
the best.  They have followed her move from Petco on Clairemont Mesa
Blvd., but I will have to look for her new phone number.

>1) What are the reasons for putting off adrenal surgery on a ferret who
>is still young and healthy?

Sorry I don't know, did you ask why they want to wait?  How many Adrenal
surgeries have they personally done?

>2) What is the typical course of treatment if we go the surgical route?
>Are blood tests or exploratory surgery done first?

I believe so, blood tests will rule out some possibilities.  Gracie had
this and when he did exploratory surgery, he found she had Adrenal,
Insulinoma and a floater (tumor).  He removed all three, successfully.

>How long is the recovery period, and will she need any special care while
>she is recovering?

This can differ with each case and how healthy they bounce back.  Gracie
was a bit slow for about 2 weeks, but since then, she is leader of the
pack and showing the new girls how to rule over the boys.  Today, 2 years
later, you'd never know she ever had a problem.

>Are there any lasting side-effects of having an adrenal gland removed?

Sorry, I can't answer this one.

>3) What is the success rate of adrenal surgery, and is there a
>possibility of the tumor coming back afterwards?

A vet would give you the best answer for this.  Maybe a 2nd option is
called for.  My vet would be glad to see you & Zoe.  Who do you see?
Feel free to e-mail me privately, if you like.  Our Children's health
and well being, is always #1.

Do you attend Ferret Anonymous Meetings?  We have East County San Diego
Monthly meeting the last Monday of each month.  It's the 26th of this
month.  Check the website for the group in your area.  We'd love to have
you join us.  State wide

http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/

San Diego Chapter

http://www.ferretsanon.com/

Give Zoe a kiss for me.

Stephanie & the 9 Closet Thieves
Spanky, Moose, Snow Flake, Ruby Jean, Nikki, Sonny & Cher and George and
Gracie