From:
"Judith F. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:45:09 -0500
** Stop ** Take a moment ** Write a note ** Mail a dollar **

I hope this report will inspire you to write encouraging e-mails, send
ferret gifts or supplies, contribute to paying expenses, or purchase coupon
booklets for the emergency fund (see FML #1614).  These are wonderful people
who are working hard for the fuzzies we love.

Ferret Shelters need your support.  With surgery bills, other medical
needs/vet visits, expensive medicines, and everyday supplies like
ear-cleaner, q-tips, hairball remedy, vitamin supplements, Ferretone and
Ferretvite, and ingredients for Duck Soup, not to mention FOOD and LITTER,
etc., the bills really pile up.  Electric, fuel and phone bills are higher,
gasoline is used rescuing or taking fuzzy-kids to the vet.  Shelter
operators truly love these needy kids and sacrifice *willingly* for these
kids, but shelter costs are high, and all this money comes straight out of
their pockets.  They not only care for dozens of ferrets every day, they
also have to be away a big part of the time earning a living to help make
ends meet.  Shelter work is not easy.  Shelters need your support.

Amanda Christmas                   Sandia Animal Clinic
   [log in to unmask]            8914 Menaul Boulevard NE
NM Ferret Shelter and Rescue       Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
2730 Morningside NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110

Ferrets in shelter:  1             Being rehabilitated:  1
Adoptable ferrets:  1              Needing vaccinations:  1
Being sponsored:  1                Adopted out this month:  1

Unpaid vet bills:  $45             Unpaid shelter bills:  $50

Wish List:  Local Ferret Club, More Adoptable Ferrets, More time!

Trish Curtis, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Tad Jarrett, DVM
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter    210 N.W. 2nd Street
3801 Zion Hill Loop               Mineral Wells, TX 76067
Weatherford, TX  76088            817-325-2273

Branch shelter Carlsbad, NM, Eydie Fox, [log in to unmask]

Total ferrets in shelter:  36     Permanent ferret residents:  10
Adoptable ferrets:  20            Being fostered:  1
Being sponsored:  5               Needing sponsors:  6
Being rehabilitated:  3           Sick or injured:  5
Needing vaccinations:  16         Needing surgery:  1
Taken in this month:  2           Adopted out this month:  4
Ferret deaths this month:  1

Unpaid vet bills:  $450           Unpaid shelter bills:  $275

Wish List:  Sponsor moms and dads!!!!
$$ to purchase 40+ Distemper vaccines to complete series of 3 per ferret.
Towels, blankets, or other soft bedding material.

Alicia Drakotes                   Dr. Donna M Harwood, DVM
    [log in to unmask]      Veterinary Housecall Services
Ferret Wise Rescue &              630 Court Street
    Rehabilitation Shelter        Keene, NH  03431
PO Box 561
Marlborough, NH  03455

Ferret Wise Shelter is now a critical care specialized facility.  As of
January 14, 1997 Ferret Wise Rescue & Rehabilitation Shelter has been
determined by the IRS to be a tax exempt non profit under section 509(a)1.

This means that any monitary donations to the shelter from March 31, 1995
through present and in the future are indeed tax deductible.  Phew, what a
journey that was-- now on to ferrets in 1997!!!!!

Total ferrets in shelter:  23 -- 15 in shelter / 8 in halfway house

Permanent residents:  6          Adoptable ferrets:  8  (4 pairs)
Sick or injured:   3             Being rehabilitated:  3
Needing vaccinations:  5         Needing surgery:  2
Adopted out in December:  2      Arrived in December:  1
Ferret deaths in December:  1
Ferrets being sponsored:  2 - Tommy (insulinoma), Lulu (Adrenal)
Ferrets needing sponsors:  3 - Missy ( adrenal surgery), Spice
                          (advanced lymphoma), Sugar (lymphoma/heart).
Ferrets being fostered:   8 - adrenals, and behavioral disorders

Unpaid vet bills:   $267 plus studies and the pathology program

Unpaid shelter bills:   $1,244

WISH LIST:  Sustical/Ensure vanilla, hairball remedy, olive oil

Troy Lynn Eckert,                 Dr. Larry Snyder
     [log in to unmask]     University Small Animal Clinic
Ferret Family Services            17th and Randolph
P.O. Box 186                        P.O. Box 4135
Manhattan, KS  66505-0186         Topeka, KS  66604
(913) 456-8337                    (913) 233-3185

Welfare ferrets/unadoptable/owners do what they can:  22

Ferrets available for adoption:  2 (ECE exposed)

Medical unadoptable:  3          Behavioral unadoptable:  3

Wish List:  Science diet A/D, Gallon Linatone, Resource Plus Vanilla
            (this group won't touch Ensure or Sustacal)

The entire expenses (well, what I kept track of) for the Fredonia Fuzzies,
was covered by donations through the FML supporters.  We also received
donations for the ECE crisis (about 1/4 of our total expenses).  So there
was much to be thankful for this year, as there is every year.  :-)

Bev Fox, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Wayne Turner, DVM
North Coast Ferret Shelter        Animal Clinic Northview
32151 Lorain Rd Lot 17            34910 Center Ridge Road
North Ridgeville, OH 44039        North Ridgeville, OH 44039
(216) 327-6729                    (216) 327-8282

3 permanent residents with illnesses that make them unadoptable

8 shelter kids vaccinated and available for adoption.

December deficit: $71            Shelter debts:    $1499

Dayna Frazier, [log in to unmask]
Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem (MOMM)

The Exotic Connection              California Shelter
26502 Golden Valley Road #110-339  Letters and packages should
Saugus, CA  91350                  not have any reference to
                                   to ferrets on outside

Wish list:
35cc Monoject feeder [gavage] syringes needed very badly, colloidal
silver, and orders for ferret stationery to support shelter

Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Mary Chavez, DVM
South Florida Ferret Club          South Kendall Animal Clinic
   and Rescue, Inc                 9501 S.W. 160th Street
P.O. Box 570927                    Miami, FL 33157
Miami, FL 33257-0927               305-238-2030
305-251-8647
305-378-0898 (fax)

Ferrets in shelter:  160           Ferrets needing surgery:  50

Carolyn Kinsey, A.S.V.T.          Dr. Bill Wilhoit, DVM
   [log in to unmask]     BIJOU ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Ferret Rescue of the Western      2502 East Bijou
   States (Estab. 1991)           Colorado Springs, CO 80909
140 W. 29th St., Suite 191        (719)471-4457
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719)527-8004

Ferrets in Shelter: 22             Ferrets being sponsored:  0

Outstanding Vet Bills:  $650

Wish list: 1cc (tuberculin) syringes and needles 25 gauge/smaller

Lisa Leidig, [log in to unmask]   Dr. P. Fisher/Dr. H. Hulls
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater        Petcare Veterinary Hospital
2312 Starfish Road, #301          5201-A Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451          Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Total ferrets in shelter:  27     Permanent Residents:  13
Sick/injured ferrets:  4          Adoptable ferrets:  14
ferrets needing vaccinations: 7   Ferrets needing surgery:    4
Ferrets adopted out:  4           Ferrets taken in:  3
1 Ferret death this month; necropsy showed bleeding from liver

Unpaid vet bills              $160.00

Wish list:  Food, Cage Supplies (bowls, litter, etc.), Vaccines/Needles

Kyle is having his ear problem solved (finally!); three adrenal surgeries
waiting in the wings; one ferret has had malignant tumors removed twice.

Karen Marsh-Lovvorn              Dr. Stephanie Dalyrmple, DVM
    [log in to unmask]               (shots/check-ups)
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue     Dr. Charles Ward, DVM
700 Whitby Court                     (diagnostics/advanced care)
Durham, NC 27703

Rogues Gallery continues to be temporarily closed.  Our house is up for
sale, and as soon as it is sold we will begin construction on a larger
home.  Until the "big move", we act as an information & referral service,
and take in emergency cases (including animals from local shelters which
will release them to us).  Most ferrets remain in their current owners
homes unless there are extenuating circumstances & they need to be
removed/placed immediately.  In that case, we will take them and put them
into foster care.  At the present time, people seeking new homes for their
ferrets and people seeking ferrets are put on a referral list and we put
them in contact with each other.

Currently on referral list, but remaining with current owners until new
homes are found -  6 ferrets

Total ferrets in shelter:  3      Permanent ferret residents: 5
Ferrets needing vaccinations: 2   Ferrets taken in this month: 2
Sick ferrets:  2 recovering from severe colds (probably from the animal
shelter)
Adoptable ferrets: 2, after they recover & get their shots

WISH LIST: Nothing right now.  When we reopen we'll need food, cash (for
medical emergency fund) and toys/litter.

Christine & David Mathis         Kimber Brawley, DVM MS
[log in to unmask]              Companion Pet Clinic
Oregon Ferret Shelter            3150 NE 82nd Avenue
17560 S Holly Lane               Portland, Oregon  97220
Oregon City, Oregon  97045       503-252-1601
503-557-8369

Ferrets in Shelter:  73

Sick or injured ferrets:  5      Being rehabilitated:  10

Chere McCoy, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Brenda Ernest, DVM
Ferret Friends of                Westside Animal Hospital
  Indian River County            1795 10th Avenue
8775 20th Street, Lot 614        Vero Beach, FL  32960
Vero Beach, Fl 32966

Ferrets in shelter:  16          Ferrets sponsored/fostered: 0

Outstanding Vet bills:  $526

Wish List:  Nutrical/Ferretvite, Totally Ferret/Iams Kitten

Stephanie Mudgett,                Dr. Steven Caffrey, DVM
    [log in to unmask]            Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
Ferret Services of Freedom        5 Pine Street
RR 1, Box 1592                    Fryeburg, ME   04037
Freedom, New Hampshire  03836

Total ferrets in shelter: 6       Adoptable ferrets:  2
Permanent residents:  2 (cancer)  Being rehabilitated:  2 (biters)
Ferrets needing surgery:  2       Ferrets needing sponsors:  4
Aadopted out this month:  4       Taken in this month:  0

Wish List:  Volunteers or sponsors, Nutrical/Nutristat and Ferretone!

Stephanie Sheme                    Dr. Joseph Bock, DVM
  [log in to unmask]               Adobe Animal Hospital
Ferrets Etc                        4660 Table Mesa Drive
4339 S. Galapago St.               Boulder, Colorado
Englewood, CO 80110                (303) 494-4344

Ferrets adopted out:  17           Ferrets taken in:  23

Unpaid vet bills:  $1,500.00       Unpaid shelter bills:  $450.00

Wish List:  Colloidal Silver, Amoxi or any variasion, LRS (fluids)
            We also need new suture scissors

Sheena Staples, [log in to unmask]
PO Box #3
4607 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 2B3
pager number 1-604-601-4883

Wherret Shelter is Back

Most of you will remember that a couple of months ago the WFHHF had to
temporarily shut down in the face of an impending move and threats against
us from some "gentleman" who objects to all things ferret (apparantly).
Anyway, Wherret Ferrets is back in business, so to speak, and is again
accepting new rescues.

Currently for adoption:
4 ferrets: 3 females, 1 male, ranging from 6 months to 2 years old.

We have spaces for about 6 more rescues currently.  Donations of old cages
you aren't using are always welcome.

The WFHHF is still regularly placing ferrets -- we placed over 75 (most of
which required spaying and neutering) ferrets in 1996, received the contents
of three back yard breeder's operations, had one adrenal surgery, one chemo
sequence, 4 tumour removals, one dental operation, 5 ear surgeries, provided
numerous ferrets with paliative care (sub q fluids, hand feeding), boarded
more than 40 ferrets, and we go through approximately 8lbs of kibble every
four days (every two days when shelter is operating a full capacity).  Our
vet bills went over the $8,000.00 mark this year and the shelter is still
about $500.00 behind.  We lost three rescues: one from a ruptured spleen,
one from aplastic anemia and one who suffered liver damage from a copper
toxicity.

Our wish list is mostly for larger cages and the equipment with which to
furnish them (hammocks, food bowls and the like) and food, lots of food
:-)

Tracy Tunnison                      Dr. Tammy Brodie
  [log in to unmask]                 Orchard View Veterinary Clinic
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue     5785 N. M-91
  (GLFA Shelter)                    Greenville, MI 48838
3425 Hillman Rd.                    (616) 754-9633
Sidney, MI 48885
(517) 328-3903

Total ferrets in shelter:  5       Adoptable ferrets:  3
Ferrets adopted out:  2            Ferrets taken in:  2
Sick or injured:  1 blind          Needing vaccinations:  2
Being rehabilitated:  2 horrible biters, may end up permanent
Ferrets needing spay/neuter: 1 (One of the two biters, I may have the
male vasectomized if he isn't able to be adopted out)

Unpaid vet bills:  $0
(I didn't get paid this month, instead used it to pay off my bill)

Unpaid shelter bills:  $0
(All shelter bills paid, but many household bills left "for next month")

WISH LIST:  Meat baby food, bedding, Ferretone/Ferretvite