Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:38:16 -0500
It was a beautiful summer afternoon at de Bridge. SaraFerret was
drifting along in a raft in de lily pond as it was her day off. Just
peaceful and quiet with the gentlest of breezes blowing her along.
Then out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Dexter, the little boy
courier, heading for her. (Oh-oh). Zip, he miscalculated his flight
and instead of landing beside her, landed on top of her, flippin over
de raft, dumping her into de lily pond.

Well, de water was just barely fuzzie-leg deep, so she just got out of
de water and tried to wring herself dry. Dexter handed her de note. She
read de note which said a special ferret was getting ready to cross.
Hey Dexter, go and get Derby, Nestlee, and Tuffy and bring dem to de
entrance as dere sister is coming. So off he went one way and off
SaraFerret went towards de entrance.

So dere I am at de Bridge entrance (wringing wet). Then I spotted her,
a tiny hooded sable fuzzy with a heavy backpack running across de
bridge. Wowsie! can dat girl run. (We will have to enter her in de
sprinters class). She looks at me and seems rather puzzled. Who are
you, she said.

I introduced myself to her, I am SaraFerret and I am de bridgegreeter.
Welcome to de Rainbow Bridge.

Well dis little fuzzy just looked at me and said, Hmm, you don't look
much like a bridgegreeter; in fact you look funny, and you are all wet;
how come you are all wet. Mommy said I would be met by a fuzzy, but you
look like a big wet rat. Oh yeah, my name is Sprout and I belong to
Mommy Karen. And I really don't know why I am here. One minute I was
asleep by Gypsy and next minute I was here. Dat's why I was running.
Kinda scared me. (All in one breath)

After all dat, Sprout just wilted a bit and sat down. Well Sprout, I
explained. I am wet because someone dumped me into de lily pond by
accident. I admit I isn't de prettiest fuzzy at de bridge, but what
you sees is whats you gets.

Sprout just looked at me, and then said, Oh SaraFerret, I didn't
mean anything bad; but it was kinda funny to be met by a wet fuzzy.

We both fell down laughing at dat.

Sprout, I noticed dat you are carrying a heavy backpack. (Unlike
humans, ferrets have secret backpacks and can take anything they
can stuff in it on their bridge journey).

She looked a me with suspicion, Why do you ask; do I have to give
everything to you? Don't you have things?

Oh, Sprout, I replied, I am just like any fuzzy, I am just nosey.

Ok, then she said. and unaipped it and took out....Treats, 2 Derby
eggs and 1 pink fleece blanket with magical unicorns on it. Wowsie!
A very heavy load for a tiny hooded sable.

Den, Dexter came flying up with the all-girl gang: Derby, Tuffy, and
Nestlee. Suddenly Sprout knew dat she was surrounded again by her
friends. What joy! A great reunion. Bounces, Leaps, Wardancing!
Hide-and-go-seek behind imaginary trees. Together dey ran and ran down
de garden path until we all stopped by de misting pond. We all sat down
and swished de clear blue water and all of a sudden dey could see Mommy
Karen. She was crying and had big tears running down her cheeks. By her
side was her newest fuzzies. Sprout pointed dem out to de others--Hey
girls I call dem de Poofers cuz dey poofs a lots but I didn't gets to
play with dem cuz dey was big fuzzies. Mommy was holding de two newest
fuzzies but she was still sad over de missing Sprout. So all a sudden,
de all-girl gang started throwing hugs and kisses and wrapping dem with
love and laid dem on a nearby shooting star which was headed to de
place where Mommy lived. They made a promise that one day they would
visit her and she would know they had been there by their musky smell
or a scratchy whiskery feel on her cheek. Then with another swish the
vision was gone. A bit of sadness perhaps. But at least dey had each
other and they knew dat one day in de long distant future Mommy would
cross de bridge and they would run together forever.

The all-girl gang headed on down the garden path toward their cottage
with Sprout chattering all about Mommy and filling dem in on what had
happened since de others had been on earth. A Welcome to the Bridge
Sprout party was going on. I was invited, but fuzzies were crossing
de bridge, so I had to leave and head back to de entrance. So ended
another greeting at de bridge.

Loveys and hugsSaraFerret, bridgegreeter