Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:19:32 -0000
Re nail clipping, when clipping my ferret's nails I put a small container
with cream or other exciting goodies under the ferret's nose and while the
ferret is busy licking this up he doesn't care what I do to his feet!

I am assuming that we all agree that the European Polecat is the wild
ancestor of our domestic ferrets, they can still successfully interbreed
and produce fertile offspring.  So surely then we should use the Polecat
as a guide as to what we feed our ferrets - MEAT!  I feed my ferrets James
Wellbeloved Ferret Complete dry feed (convenient) but try to give them more
of a meat based diet, including raw tripe, day old chicks, raw liver, whole
rabbit and pigeon etc etc.  The ferrets absolutely love the meat and I am
sure they just eat the dry food to fill their tummies when they are hungry.

When I first got ferrets Wendy who runs the Essex Ferret Welfare Society
shelter near my home emphasised "fur and feathers" as an essential part of
their diet.  I understand that these components act a bit like fibre does
on the human digestive system.

Why the overriding interest in expensive meat substitutes?  It seems that
this just putting money in the pockets of the manufacturers!

Also, congratulations Mia, don't let them get you down.

Dooks, fangs and wardances,
Cheryl, Magni and Mac