From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:53:39 -0600
Hey, all.

I just spent megabucks today on vets.  One for our regular vet, which
probably will not be anymore after today, and one for a new vet, which will
probably not be a repeat, either, though she was nice.

Here's the skippy.  Today they all four went for shots.  I have been
concerned about Harvey because she had a slightly swollen vulva and anus a
few weeks back with a puss like secretion from her vulva.  Amoxy drops
helped that and she is mostly back to normal.  Both still seem a little
larger than they should be.  Anyway, I mentioned this to my reg.  vet and he
said she was probably licking there too much and had irritated it.  I
thought this sounded hokey at the time.  Now she seems to be shedding like
the others, but is not replacing the fur, at least not very quickly in
certain spots.  I can see her belly skin plainly, though she is not
completely bald, and I can see the tip of her tail.  None of my other
ferrets shed like that.

After suggesting to the vet that I was worried it might be adrenal or
incomplete spaying, he did not want to do any testing.  He said it was
expensive and left it at that.  Like I would not spend the money on my baby!
When I asked about doing something if it were adrenal, he said there *ISN'T
ANY TREATMENT*.  He said they just lose their hair, get big bellies and die
and said he had had to put a lot to sleep because of it.  He said you can't
remove the adrenal because they will die.  He said it attached to the
pitutary and you can't do anything if that is the problem!

I then said I would wait to make sure no one had a reaction to the rabies
vaccine and he picked up the carrier and looked in, asked if everyone was
okay and pronounced that they were!  After only about 5 minutes of receiving
the shots!  I was angry and vowed not to return unless it was an emergency.
He is supposed to be the most knowledgable vet in town about ferrets, as
told to me by other vets.  However, I will not set foot in there again if he
doesn't even care that I am so concerned about my ferrets.  He just wanted
me to go.  He told me to watch her over several months to see if she gets
worse OVER TIME.  If it is adrenal, isn't time of the essence here?  How
sick does she have to be before he will acknowledge that something is not
normal here?

Second vet ran blood tests that may show a slight anemia, but not a bad
enough one to be certain.  Everything else looked good, so we don't know why
she is losing hair.  She seems healthy (as vet told me) otherwise.  I just
can't quit worrying about that hair loss.  I know it is a sign that
something more is going on, but everyone just wants me to wait and see what
happens.  Is this really the best thing to do?  Vets?  Experienced fert
owners?  What should I do?  I know a very friendly and exotic knowledgeable
vet in Nashville.  Should I spend more money to have another vet to tell me
to wait?  I would spend any amount to help her, but I am not working at the
moment and if it isn't helpful, I don't have the funds.  Advice would be
appreciated.  You can email me directly.

Thanks.