From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:14:16 -0700
It's me again.  I am so happy to be alive and able to have the time to sit
a read the fml everyday and give some of you great folks the benefit of my
experiences over the last few years when I was so busy the all I dreamed
about somedays was a couple hours of sleep.  The reason I have slowed it
down is because if I don't, my doc says I'll be going to the Rainbow Bridge
to be with all my friends that are waiting for me there.  I know , I
promised them I'll be there too, but the kids here keep telling me they
want me to stay.  Last year during labor day, I had two mild heart attacks
and two angoiplasties, and was told to slow down.  Well, I waited a couple
days and went right back to the 18 hour days and in Oct, I had the big one.
They brought me back, did some more stents in the old ticker, and here I
am.  I get sent to my room more now than when I was a child.  The workers,
and volunteers look out for me and the kids now, and I get to do the easy
things like share my experience and such with ya'll.

Anyway, we get several declawed ferrets in here at Especially Ferrets Inc.
every year.  Last year we got in several that had been declawed by the same
vet who runs the************** in lakewood, Co.  I very nicely told him
that I had some concerns over the declaeing of ferrets that I would like to
discuss with him and he immediately began screaming at me and threatening
to sue me for harassment.  It was honestly the first contact I had ever had
with him.  To make a long story shorter, I hung up and never , ever tried
to contact him again.  Maybe someone who knows him or of him will read this
though and relay my concerns to him, as I never got the chance.  I am told
by one of my vets, and he is really great with the fuzzies, that removing
the claw of a ferret causes a tendon on the underside of the toe to shrink
and causes the toe to point toward the ground so that in essence, the
ferret is actually going to have to walk on it's toe tips for the rest of
it's life.  He also advised me that this is very painful and detrimental
to the ferret and he couldn't believe a vet would even consider this
procedure.  I have watched many a ferret walk across hard floors like the
floor was fire to them and now I understand why.  All of our ferrets here
are kept in carpeted cages.  Some of the carpet is very expensive but
donated to us so our fuzzbutts are kinda spoiled.  Their feet won't hurt so
much on carpet, but what about when they are not in their cages.  Please
tell this story to as many people as you can, as declawing your ferret
isn't neccessary at all.  They need their claws for balance and traction.
Try standing on your tip toes like a ballerina and you will truly
understand the pain I'm talking about.  Enjoy your kiddos as God has given
them to you and don't try to remodel them, they are as perfect as he wants
them to be for us.  Thanks for taking the time to read this and hugs to all
from the ferretguy.  Life is short and precious, mine,yours and theirs,
enjoy and cherish!