From:
Todd Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:10:30 -0500
I am a first-time ferret owner with a brand new 7 week old MF kit(my they
are sell them young!) from a local petstore.  The animal is in beautiful
condition, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and full of vim, vigor and curiosity.
It eats great, poops everywhere (that's my next project) and has great
potential!  Now realize I've only had this guy 48 hours, but I would really
like to make some headway on the nipping.  I get the feeling that at times
he thinks I'm just a big ferret, and other times he is trying to just get
his way.  He does not bite hard, unless I flick his nose/side of head with
a "NO".  He then comes pouncing back jaws open bouncing away looking mighty
fierce and chomping away (still not hard, I would gather that even at this
age if he wanted to hurt me he could remove a piece of me).  And when I
hold him, trying to socialize etc, he bites, nibbles, chews, etc, and the
No's don't work at all and the flicking leads to him chomping down pretty
hard as he gets all riled up.  I keep a pair of light duck gloves handy in
case he squirms away, or if I need to transfer him in an emergency.  Time
out helps a bit, and he will happily come running up to me and climb on my
lap, then he commences chewing, nipping, etc.  I have been using bitter
apple on my hands, and that helps for a while, but I want him to associate
me and my hands with good times, not loud No's, nose-flicks, and a gross
bitter taste.  Again I think this is youthful exuberance and poor
communication between me and the beastie, along with a bit of impatience on
my part.  I'll keep working with him until doomsday if I have to, I just
would like this early time to be pleasant for both of us.  Any advice
beyond the FAQ, and words of encouragement would be appreciated!  I am
hoping that this behavior is part of his extreme young age, and he will
grow out of it!

Todd Collins
Walworth NY (the other end of the county from Marshall Farms)
And my new friend:
NoName !  At least until I get it positively sexed by a vet ... the
petstore said it was a girl, the papers say it was neutered (hmmm) and it's
bodily functions are spaced far apart...another vote for boy.  So I am
confused, thankfully the ferret doesn't seem concerned!  When I go in for
permanent distemper 1 next week I will put this issue to rest, and then I
will come up with a suitable name!