From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 17:11:00 -0400
>From:    Gary M Sadger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: If KODO could talk!
>I feel that Mr. Jacobs did not use good judgment when having his ferrets
>out in public!  He allowed this situation to present itself and could have
>avoided it.

I disagree w/you wholeheartedly.  You *urge the Great Lakes Ferret
Association to make it their first priority to educate the public about the
responsibilities of pet ferret ownership* - I believe that's what Bob Jacobs
was working towards.

I for one don't give up my weekends to do pet fairs because I think they're
fun.  That time is used to present the facts & dispel the myths &
misconceptions about the personality, behavior, & care of ferrets.
Generally, most people, who have never been in contact w/a ferret, draw an
opinion about them based on what they've been told by someone they know.
Those opinions are accepted as fact & aren't easily changed, regardless of
how much information is provided.

But seeing is believing.  It's much more effective to present these
endearing creatures & allow the public to draw their own conclusions.  We're
trying to change the minds of people who have listened to negative news
reports, uninformed government agencies, & friends who have had bad
experiences.  We're working to break the chain of negative information.  I
risk the same fate as Bob J.  because I resent having to worry more about
bring my ferrets into contact w/strangers than my 55 & 65 lb.  dogs who are
potentially much more dangerous.

Don't think you're immuned because you don't bring your fuzzies out of the
house.  This same situation could happen to you w/anyone who comes into your
home - a friends, family member, repair person, or even the crook who breaks
into your home to rob you.  Unless you live your life in a bubble as a
hermit, you're just as vulnerable as Bob Jacobs & anyone else who owns
ferrets.

It's unfortunate that Kodo's life had to be put in jeopardy, & that those
involved have to live this nightmare & financial burden.  We also know how
unnecessary this whole situation is & a waste of government resources &
taxpayers dollars.  We can only hope that the powers-that-be will exercise
the intelligence they're supposed to have to be in their positions, & set a
legal presedence in favor of giving ferrets the same considerations as cats
& dogs.

Right now Bob is going through what the rest of us fear the most being owned
by ferrets.  He needs our support - moral & financial - to help him through
this.  None of us can ignore this case.  Just imagine what it would be like
if your name was Bob Jacobs right now.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Juliana - my opinions are my own & not necessarily those of the GDFA
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos, & Tuxedo