From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:22:15 -0500
While not specifically related to our pet ferrets, this action is not
good news for the black footed ferrets. The following is taken from an
email I received from Defenders of Wildlife, and there is a link for
letting the US Forest Service know that you do not consider this an
appropriate action.

   --------

In 2009, after years of planning and public input, officials set
aside 85,000 acres in the Thunder Basin National Grassland as an area
where prairie dogs would be protected from poisons and shooting. Today,
this area contains the best prairie dog population on any National
Grassland in America.

But now, a handful of outspoken ranchers have pressured the U.S. Forest
Service into considering a plan to go back on their promise and poison
all prairie dog colonies on the National Grassland within 1/4 mile of
private or state land. This would shrink the already small protected
area by 22,000 acres, sentencing at least 18,000 prairie dogs to a
horrific death by poison, despite the availability of proven and
effective non-lethal methods.

The use of poison results in a slow and extremely painful death -- and
not just prairie dogs suffer. Killing these prairie dogs would subject
multiple species who rely on prairie dogs to a sad end as well. Species
such as the black-footed ferret, whose reintroduction to the area has
long been delayed, will be postponed yet again -- violating yet another
promise to protect and restore species in the National Grassland.

We only have until January 3rd to urge the U.S. Forest Service to stop
their poisonous plan.

<https://secure.defenders.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2677>
Stop the U.S. Forest Service from Poisoning Prairie Dogs -

   --------

Yes, it also asks you to donate -- but that is entirely up to you.
What I see as most important is letting the US Forest Service know
that their plan to poison prairie dogs is not acceptable.

Danee DeVore
ADV -- If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
See - http://www.ferretadv.com/

Owner of The Clay Ferret
Quality Kits Raised With Love
Color Logo TCF