From:
Dee Kreidel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:19:20 -0500
Hi everyone.

I just have a couple of things today.  First, the first ferret club meeting
in central Iowa will be Saturday, July 25 at the Petco in South Des Moines
at 5:00 pm.  Everyone is invited to attend, but please refrain from bringing
your ferrets for several reasons, including that more things will be able to
be done in a shorter amount of time without them.  During this initial
meeting, we will try to find a more appropriate place to meet and then the
fuzzies will always be welcome.  (If anyone who has just started a club or
has had one for awhile and is willing to share their experience with me, I
would happily read your email and accept any advice...)

Next, I am unsuccessfully making the transition for the ferts from being
outside the cage a few hours a day to outside the cage all the time (except
night).  I need some help, as they don't seem to be terribly interested in
sleeping no matter how long they are out.  Those of you who have all the
time out of the cage ferts: How should I get them interested in sleeping??
(I bought them a fert bed - they aren't terribly interested.)  Can they play
themselves to a dangerous point - or will they eventually calm down and go
to sleep when they get too tired?  ( I guess what I am asking is, do they
know when they (Physically) need to sleep, or can they overexert themselves
to a dangerous level - like dogs?) Last night, they did go in the cage for
a few minutes during their romp to eat, and drink - this is the first time
they have even done that - is this a sign that they are adjusting to the
outside the cage life?  Or am I getting my hopes up for nothing.  We have
been trying to gradually increase their time out with us for about 2 months,
they only are put back in to force sleep and then they are out again.  Do I
need to just leave well enough alone and keep this routine?  If so, how long
should I leave them to sleep - they sometimes nap for 3 - 4 hours a stretch
(usually after being out and about for about 4 hours)- is this okay??

Thanks in advance for ANY input.

Dee and six pack of fur - Bacardi (HA! I can poof and you can't...),
Coke(toes, toes, I NEED more toes), Kahlua (huh??), Killian (kisses,
kisses), Cisco (Hey, the dog bowl - surf's up!!), Kama (put My cheweasel
down and slowly back away and no body will get hurt) and the honorary
fert, Buddy (woof!).