Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 22:15:23 -0400
Hi --
My female ferret, Jessie, has been pooping by the corner of the refrigerator
in the kitchen, and whenever I catch her, back in the cage she goes.

This evening, I walked out of my work-room to find Jesie curled up in her
hammock in her cage, which had the top open because earlier I'd let her and
Bart, her spouse, run loose.  She looked rather forlorn, and somewhat
embarrassed.  I went and looked in the kitchen -- sure enough, there by the
'fridge was Jessie's calling-card.  Whether she had just had an accident or
had gone in for a political statement and then regretted having made it,
apparently she decided to atone for it by putting herself into her cage,
without waiting for me to do it!

I've heard of monkeys who do this sort of thing -- making a mess on the
floor, then paddling themselves.  This is the first time I've encountered
this in ferrets.  Anybody seen this in other ferrets, or other species?

    -- Yael Dragwyla