From:
Sandy Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:25:16 -0700
Hi there

Ken Nyren forwarded his email and the responses regarding lymphoma to
me (I hope no one minds). I am giving a quick and dirty explaination
here, but can give more details as needed and I can also fax the
protocol to anyone's vet who is interested in trying it. It really
does work.

The protocol that I use is from Cornell, but I believe the Tufts
protocol is the same. The initial treament is 31 wks total and if the
ferret comes out of remission early then it is recommended to go 52
weeks total (I have not had to do this yet). Frequancy is weekly for
the first 9wks then goes to every 2weeks and then every 3weeks.
Unfortunately any ferret already receiving pred for insulinomas or for
lymphoma without other chemo drugs will not respond well to any of the
chemo drugs in the protocol. It can be tried but we most definately see
very little to no response in the weasels already on the pred. Pred
makes the lymphoma resistent to other chemo drugs.

As far as the traditional thoughts of swollen belly and hair loss only
being associated with adrenal disease, well we have all learned this
and because I insist on an abdominal ultrasound on all ferrets showing
these signs, prior to opening them up and removing an adrenal gland
that may not need removing, I have found over the last 2yrs that 50%
of all the cases are lymphoma ferrets. Lymphoma affects the endocrine
system just as adrenal disease does and causes hair to be arrested and
fall out. I really encourage ultrasounds to be done and not blindly
going in to remove adrenals. I am hoping to publish an article soon
showing these same facts and my experiences with chemo to help
encourage more owners and vets to treat them and not allow these kids
to die earlier and in a very uncomfortable manner than is necessary.

Please feel free to email me or to call my office or have your vet call
my office, I am only to happy to share my experiences in helping my
weasel friends to feel better and live longer.

I am also experimenting with chemo for adrenal tumors that can not be
surgically taken care of. Lupron and melatonin only treat the symptoms
and I am hoping to find a way to shrink the tumors in a non-surgical
manner.

Thank you for allowing me to help.

Sandra M. Grant, DVM
919-829-5511