From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:06:10 EST
Cheryl-

Pet store ferrets do not have all their shots.  They have one shot.
You'll still need to get the ferret two distemper and one rabies shots.
Then one rabies and one distemper annually thereafter.  Additionally,
we're seeing a lot of ferrets in stores, especially PETCO with serious
health problems, including pnuemonia and ADV.  Good shelters will give
you the results of an ADV test before adopting a ferret to you.  Pet
stores are in the business of selling ferrets and making money, and will
tel you whatever you want to hear.  Additionally, there's no guarantee
that the ferret is going to have a good temperment.  Shelters want the
adoption to work, and are going to make sure that you get a ferret that
would fit in with your household.

The last thing is that if money is so tight that you can't afford basic
health care, I'm wondering what you are going to do if your ferret gets
sick, or gets into something and has a blockage that takes a $500 surgery?
It seems that the timing isn't very good for you to get a ferret, and
maybe you should wait until you're back on your feet financially.

Anne