From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:03:05 -0500
First I want to thank those of you who were so kind to send Food, Food
Coupons, Money for Food and ingredients for WOOZLE GOO.  Also a very special
thank you to PLS's LS (you know who you are) for your overwhelming
generosity of 30LBS of food, 4 hammocks, various treets, and Woozle Goo
ingredients.  The PG as usual was her sweet self and then someone who is not
on the internet nor even has a computer Ms. Stevie Rutter called her friends
and they have also responded to the emergency.  Since many of you are
unaware as to what happened here is the story

We had a Half-Way house in Ft Pierce Florida that was housing 9 of our
Shelter Ferrets.  Last Friday night there was an unforseen medical emergeny
at our Half-Way house and all 9 ferrets had two come back to the FFIRC
Shelter.  Since there was only two hours between notification and ferrets
arriving it was quite hectic at our shelter.

Our shelter capacity is 12 with 14 in residence, with the nine new children
that brought our shelter up to a total of 23.

Although cages came with the little ones, food and other essentials were in
short supply (and I do mean short).  Since our current vet bill was in
arrears to the tune of over $500.00 and our bank account had exactly $3.47
we were at panic city.

Yesterday morning we totally ran out of food and went begging to our Vet who
supplied us with two 7lbs bags.  At approximately 1:30yesterday afternoon
30LBS of food arrived via UPS truck.  Then going to the mail box we found
lovely coupons for food (sent by those of you who read our Need Food
Message).  Now everybody has food and the kids who must eat specially
prepared food have theirs too.

It's been a tough week but all the ferrets are fine - I've juxtapositioned
kids with kids in cages, changed cages, rearranged kids etc.  and finally I
think I've got them all where they are comfortable.  We have six play period
times running in one of two places: my bedroom or the play porch.  Play
times start at 5:00am and end about 6:30 at night.  Everyone gets as much
hands on attention as my schedule allows and I don't think I have ever done
so much LAUNDRY in my life (except when we had the 36 Hurricane Andrew
ferrets).

We have our Ferret Friends Meeting Tomorrow Saturday 22 November and
hopefully new parents will come forward to start analysing their current
ferret situation to see if they will be able to give the care and attention
for a lifetime (VERY IMPORTANT) for one more ferret.

Again thanks to all of you who sent things for the ferrets.

Love Chere and all the Shelter Kids of Ferret Friends of Indian River County
Ferret Shelter