Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:46:32 -0400
>"...I realized that I had been denying him love and affection because
>he was "a biter"."

One of my guys came from a neighbor who had two small children and was
expecting a baby. He bit. Hard. The kids even named him "Biter". They
never let him out of his cage (a nice big one, at least), and the
mother was afraid for the new baby's sake. So they gave him to me.

When I let him out, he was very excited but also very nervous. And yes,
when I picked him up he bit. He was a handsome fellow, grey with some
white markings.... I took one look at the white stripe down his head
and his white paws, and though "Wartenberg's".

I did some tests, and sure enough, he was deaf. After that, I made eye
contact or tapped on the floor before picking him up, and within just
a couple of days he had stopped biting. Soon he was the sweetest, most
laid back, cuddly ferret you could imagine. He still might nip to make
a point, but his days of panic biting were over.

I'm not quite sure how old he was when I got him; I'm guessing two
years. I wish his original owners had figured out he was just deaf,
though I'm sure he was happier in a house without small children. He
was completely free roam in my house, which seemed to suit him. He
went to the bridge last fall.

RIP, Bud.
Claire