From:
Lori Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:38:18 -0600
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]> asked for silly/goofy things we've
done because of our ferrets.

Well ... lots of silly things in the privacy of our own home.  Not to
mention some unusual interior decorating.

As far as things I've been "caught" at in public, I can only think of three
right off the bat.

I knit.  I knit compulsively.  When I travel by air, I knit simple
projects that don't require much concentration.  Folks often ask me what
I'm knitting.  I'm sure "ferret sleep sacks" isn't the answer they're
expecting.  Some of the looks I get ...

Second ... the quest for golf balls.  The good folks at the sporting
goods store were quite surprised when we asked about buying those plastic
practice golf balls (think mini whiffle balls) in bulk.  We don't golf so
didn't know how unusual a request it was.  When we explained that we wanted
them for our ferrets, the clerks just fell out laughing.

Third, we're often out and about checking out new RV models-- looking for
just the right one to trade up.  You should see the salespeople's
expressions when we get down on the floor and check out all the nooks and
crannies.  And then their expressions when we explain why!  The salespeople
are used to pointing out all the new luxury features -- the wonderful
leather recliners (gasp, noooooooo), the trap door to the "basement" (aka
ferret escape hatch), the hide-a-bed couch (no thanks -- we prefer the
cheap couch with the storage space under it -- ferrets love to sleep and
play down there).  You can tell by their expressions they consider us a
lost cause.

-Lo