From:
Heather Lynn Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 18:32:48 -0400
Ooooo... Chalk one up to MAJOR Bruce Williams regarding the military's
knowledge of ferrets.

Sean and Ottoman:
    I too am a relatively new ferret owner, and I started out with the
scoopable litter because it seemed so easy.  But then I noticed that
Gypsy's vulva had become red, and it looked like it had a little scab on
it.  I realized that the "scab" was actually clumped litter.  It must
have clumped on a little bit of moisture left on her.  The scoopable
litter also had a tendency to get all over the floor.  The redness was
from Gypsy scooting herself along on the litter covered floor after using
her litter box.
    So, I stopped using the scoopable stuff and got litter made of pine
wood pellets (can't remember the name right now).  Gypsy's redness went
away immediately after the switch.  The new litter is great -- it smells
good, absorbs liquid very well, and once it absorbs the liquid it turns
into sawdust which can be flushed.  I've also heard that litter made from
recycled newspaper (I think it's called Yesterday's News) is good too, but
I'm sure you'll get many more recommendations from those with more ferret
experience.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Since this is my first post on the FML, I'll introduce my little
fuzzy to all of you.  Her name is Gypsy.  She's a silver ferret, probably
about a year and a half old.  She had run away from her first home, and was
picked up and taken to a local animal shelter.  They did find the owner
somehow, but the owner didn't want to pay the fee to get her out of the
shelter!  That person obviously isn't one of us "special" people who
would do anything for our little fuzzies.
        The shelter's policy is to kill any animals they get that aren't
cats or dogs.  Fortunately, the woman who runs the shelter knows a ferret
breeder, and gave Gypsy to the breeder to find Gypsy a new owner -- me!
        She's just a doll.  She doesn't bite at all, and doesn't even mind
being held by strangers.  Before I found the FML, I thought she was
probably an unusual ferret because she doesn't like any treats but raisins,
and she doesn't like any toys but her plastic bag and toilet bowl brush.
But thanks to the FML, I realized that all ferrets are unique and unusual
in their own way.
        Gypsy was wondering why she gets so many extra hugs and kisses after
I read the FML, so I read her some of the stories of the little
fuzzies who have recently passed away.  Gypsy was very sad when I read her
the stories, and she wanted me to send her condolences to all their owners.

Heather and Gypsy