From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 19:10:21 +0000
A day or two ago, Sandi said to use pet supply stores instead of pet stores
for your pet supplies and said something to the effect that there's "one in
your town".

I get very very tired of people assuming that all ferret owners live in or
close to urban areas.  Not all of us do.  I don't have a pet supply store
in my town, and we ARE *the* town for, oh, at least an hour's drive from
the next.  We're *LUCKY* to have a pet store at all...and it's certainly
not much of one, mostly just an extension of a groomer's business...they
sell *one* brand of food, *no* ferret supplies, and the usual assortment of
fish, rodents, and reptiles, as well as a few birds.  I've talked to them
about special orders.  They have no extra storage room, and their supplier
won't send them one or two items...but of course, even if I *could* be
getting ferret supplies through them, I would be supporting what Sandi
seems to feel is a near evil occupation.

I am disabled, I can't spend hours and hours driving around an unfamiliar
town for which I have no way of getting information for what's there, just
*hoping* to find a pet supply store.  I buy my ferret supplies at PetCo.  I
don't like buying mail-order, for a variety of reasons that I won't go into
here.

One option that people may want to consider: my vet (who is just over an
hour drive away in any case), will order items for me.  But their supplier
doesn't carry everything...H harnesses for example.  BUT not everyone's vet
will do that...the local vet here won't, the very good vet that I used to
go to before I moved wouldn't.  So that's not an option for everyone.

PLEASE, *STOP* make vilifying statements like was made...not all of use
have options...for stores, for vets, for a *LOT* of things that I've seen
many blanket statements about since subscribing.  Not everyone lives in or
close to urban areas folks!  And I've talked to a few ferret owners who
won't participate in things like this discussion list because many times
they've felt that that's all the lists are geared toward, and object
strongly to the implication that everyone has the same opportunities for
their ferrets and ferret supplies.  It isn't so.  Mail order?  As I said,
there are many many reasons, both good and bad for not using mail order,
it is not a crime, nor should there be *any* implication that it is.

Sue