From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:14:13 -0400
It seems like in many places regular pharmacies have trouble getting
diazoxide but COMPOUNDING PHARMACIES seem to have no trouble getting
it, especially in areas where there is enough demand. Hospitals (human)
also sometimes have it. The first ferret we had on it (something around
15 to 20 years ago when it was a brand new product and still under some
reviews) got bottle dregs from a human hospital since it had to throw
the incomplete bottles, so an arrangement could be made for non-human
use. A year or two ago I had to help a sweet couple in Hawaii who need
it for their young (human) daughter's survival. Sadly, there were
(still are?) not a lot of true compounding pharmacies there and
diazoxide is something of a orphan drug. We found mainland compounding
pharmacies for the family, though the shipping was high until they
could arrange something with a more local pharmacy.

There is a list of Compounding Pharmacies which have helped ferrets --
many of which ship often in the FHL Files sections.

The one we use, Belvidere Pharmacy, was one of the first in the nation
to satisfy special requirements:

Info on compounding pharmacies:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2598

Sukie (not a vet)