From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:01:17 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Tetsuro Oka <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: chlorythromycin
>I would like to have detailed information about chlorythromycin, such as
>chemical formula (structure), CAS registration No., company name, etc.  .

I assume that you mean clarithromycin for treatment of Helicobacter.  The
brand name is Biaxin by Abbott.  It is a semi-synthetic macrolide antibiotic.
The NDC number is 0074-3368-60.

>From:    MRS MELANIE S HAWKINS <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ear problem
>My ferret, Maggie, has a blackish material in her ear that doesn't go away
>with a swipe with the Q-tip.

Could be a bacterial or yeast ear infection.  Tresaderm usually does a good
job on all these.  For ear mites though you need to treat all ferrets for a
minimum od three weeks.

>From:    Tony Mastropolo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ratty Looking Ferret Tail

No rogaine!
Try a benzoyl peroxide cream (non-toxic) for the acne on the tail.  If the
hair does not regrow in 6-12 weeks, consider adrenal disease as the primary
possibility.

>From:    Deana Beek <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: VET QUESTION
>My male ferret (approximately 2 1/2 years old) has an irritation around the
>hole where he urinates.  The irritation appears to be only on the outside

Sounds like a recurring bladder infection.  I would have your vet check an
urine sample for infection.

>From:    wayne christie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets amd Kennel Cough
>We just brought home a dog from the animal shelter and won't have to take
>him back until the end of the month to be neutered.  He has kennel cough

Kennel cough is an all inclusive term for an upper respiratory inflammation
In dogs, a common cause is a bacteria termed Bordetella.  Bordetella has
been shown to exist in cats, rabbits and guinea pigs.  I would suggest that
Bordetella could cause disease in ferrets also.  If the ferrets starts
coughing (usually 10 days after exposure), take Penny to the vet's.

>From:    Jennifer Morlanne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need Help with Skin Problem

Orange skin is common in ferrets and can be secondary to poor grooming
habits, scabies, seasonal change or metabolic disease (such as adrenal
disease).  It is usually due to something else and that is where your vet
needs to explore.

>From:    Edward Greaves <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Violent Sneezing.  Allergies? What else could it be?

I would think that an irritant (like house dust) is the culprit.  Most
ferrets adapt to this and there is no long term problem.

>From:    Library <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tooth surgery
>Our ferret, Bentley, is going to the vet on Friday to have his teeth worked

Your vet probably wants to do a dental cleaning just like you get from a
dental hygienist.  The tartar and plaque are removed which is a major cause
of periodontal disease (the red gums).  Most plaque that causes periodontal
disease is subgingival (under the gumline) and to reach those areas requires
general anesthesia.  A superficial scraping without anesthesia does not do
it for periodontal disease.

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A repeat of teeth cleaning questions not yet answered

Yes, you brush the teeth (without anesthesia) twice weekly.  The dental
cleaning needs to be done by a vet.

>From:    "Nelson, Debra" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help...
>Gyro has gotten sick.  I took her to the vet and they did blood

Aggressive nursing care.  Force feed, amoxicllin, fluid therapy.
Hospitalize the ferret where they can do these things.

>From:    Stephanie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret with possible adrenal disease
>One of our ferrets, Porthos, has been losing hair on his tail and back, has
>lost weight, and has been overly attacking the female ferrets (he's about
>2-3 years old male neutered).  We think it's adrenal disease....

Ferrets do not die acutely from adrenal disease.  A 1-2 month wait for a
HEALTHY ferret is okay.

>From:    AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret colds
>Silly question 101a:  Can ferrets cough?

Yes, ferrets can cough, sneeze and get the hiccups.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA