From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:20:22 EST
Sent in two parts:   [Both parts combined.  BIG]

Trish writes:
>As you all know ADV is a virus and NOT a genetic disease.  DAF Nicaoldian,
>White Russian's son and a ferret I've studded with has been tested Negative
>Twice for ADV.  I fail to see the concern for my kits.  None of my Ferrets
>have ADV and none of the ferrets I breed with have ADV so where is the
>concern?  Honestly I believe people are being over reactive about this.  I
>live on the other side of the coast from White Russian, and my kits will
>never come into contact with him.  Where is there a concern?  Why should
>there be a concern?

Trish, I'm not sure where you got the "information" you posted above, but
some of it is incorrect.  Although not a "genetic" disease, per se (well,
I don't know the exact medical definition of a genetic disease, so I'm
guessing here), ADV is transmitted primarily through breeding.  The virus
(or antibodies, depending on who you ask) is passed directly through the
placenta of the jill to the kits.  Since some of White Russian's offspring
by two different jills have tested positive, as well as some negative, the
sire is, apparently, able to transmit, also.  Naturally, there is concern.
Not enough is known about the disease to know how many generations "could"
carry the antibodies so, again, research is desperately needed.  Amy tested
Nicky, with a negative result, as did Judith.  Therefore, none of Nicky's
offspring should test positive, and anyone who adopted any of them should
test, because I strongly believe all ferrets should be tested), but not be
unduly worried.  The "concern" is that no one knows for sure yet.  Coming
in "contact" with White Russian is the least likely way for ADV to be
spread.

As for feeling that asking about testing in a public forum is improper, I
have to say that if I were a breeder, I would be more than happy to be
able to say that my hob tested negative as publicly as possible.  It's the
fastest and easiest way to get the "good" news out to anyone interested,
and it would seem appropriate that anyone that has offspring of White
Russian or of his offspring should be interested, as well as anyone
adopting a ferret from any breeder.  Trish, I would suggest that you do
some independent research on ADV before "stating" what you believe are
facts.  There are some good sites available.  I make that suggestion in the
kindest way possible, but your implication that contact with White Russian
was more likely to spread ADV than breeding is completely false, and it's a
grave disservice to the people who have been in contact with him.

FerretMom writes:  (first part taken from my earlier post)
>>...He does, however, recommend testing.  He also stressed that, any home
>>or facility where even one ferret tests positive, should be immediately
>>"closed", with no ferrets coming in, and no ferrets going out except for
>>visits to the vet.  My home is now under quarantine, per his instructions

>With all respect to Dr. Williams, I think this is a bit too radical.
>ADV has existed in the ferret community for *many* years...
>...Why is everyone panicing now?

Carla, check my post to the FML from around the end of January.  I also
raised the issue of "why now"?  It is truly sad that it has taken this
long.  FML archives reference ADV as far back as 1993.  ADV has existed
for many years, however most vets do not test for it.  Many vets, in fact,
do know ferrets can get it (or didn't until recently).  It will not show
up on a complete blood work up.  I have read, over and over again, of
ferrets dying of wasting diseases and of ferrets with unexplained hind
limb paralysis, and other unexplained illness related deaths.  Ferrets
do not die of ADV.  ADV destroys the ability of the ferret to fight off
other illnesses.  They die of other causes/illnesses.  Is Lymphoma one?
Cardiomyopathy?  We don't know!  How many ferret moms and dads have
necropsies done?  Of those, how many vets know to look for the specific
signs of ADV?  Very few.  Believe me, since my post, I have heard from many
people who have had ferrets die that had unexplained illnesses causing
death, or causing the animal to have to be euthanized.  Some has the same
symptoms as ADV and their vets could not find a cause for those
illnesses/deaths...but it is not known if ADV caused the illnesses as the
necropsies done were not specific for ADV.  Dr. Williams' suggestion may
seem "radical", but it's the only way to stop the disease dead in its
tracks.  Is it practical or even possible in most cases?  Absolutely not,
especially since it can take months for ADV to show up.  How could you
possibly quarantine every ferret coming into a shelter for that long?
Also, you may not be aware that at a (now closed) shelter in Texas, when an
unusually high number of ferrets began taking ill, approximately 51 out of
60 tested positive once testing was done.  ADV was traced back to 4 ferrets
taken in several months before that never became ill themselves.  To date,
this shelter has had a 25% mortality rate for the ferrets that did become
ill.  Have you joined the ADV Mailing List?  I believe you would be
surprised at what the people that are testing are finding.  Again, we
desperately need research.  That is the key to everything and, you're
right, it is long overdue.

Judy