From:
Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 13:07:52 -0500
Hello to all you FMLers,

Great news about PA rabies policy.  As of the week of Nov.  3, 1997 they
have also decided to follow the CDC guideline for treating bite cases in
ferrets.  I talked to the State Epidemiology Department and Susan Jenkins of
VA.  Susan told me that ferrets are included in all aspects with dogs and
cats, including quarantine, etc.  .  This was great news in itself, but I
wasn't quite sure that PA would comply so quickly.  In all of my rabies
research in the past with PA, they haven't been very friendly towards
ferrets in general, but much to my surprise, they were very straight forward
about stating that PA will follow the CDC guidelines in all cases regarding
ferrets.  This was WONDERFUL news, but unfortunately most of the local
officials were still unaware of this policy.  I talked with Marshall Decee
of the Rabies Commission in PA, and he told me that he would make sure that
all of PA was informed this coming week, even if he had to call them ALL
personally!!  (He has always been very nice and helpful!) So, if anyone out
there in PA hears of a bite case or problem with a ferret in their area,
please make sure that the local authorities are familiar with the states new
policy on Ferts and rabies.  They can call the office of Dr. James Rankin
(State Health Department, Dept.  Of Communicable Disease) to get this
up-to-date info!!  Please, everyone that can, call your state and find out
who is changing their policy and who is not!!  Now that PA and so many
others have changed, hopefully ALL states will fall into line!!!  I'd
personally love to compile a list of who is complying with the guidelines
and who isn't!!  We still need to put pressure on those who simply don't
like our furrbabies, and some of these people may be in charge of policy in
other states!!  If anyone has any info.  about their state, please send it
to us @ [log in to unmask]  Thanks again, and congratulations to all the
people who worked to get this changed.  It's a great beginning, let's keep
it goin!!!

Take care and kiss the Fuzzies!!

Chris and Tara Palaski

Boris, Natasha, Misha, Ivan, Nikolai, Guenther, Gaela, Nietzsche, Kaya, and
Katie!!