From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:03:23 -0400
I wish to remain annonymous because frankly I don't want any flaming
emails sent to me and I know some of the people being spoken about
here.  I tend to hold back on the sidelines and not comment but this
is something that hits me right in the heart and soul!!!

Yes I will agree there are responsible breeders out there and responsible
shelters out there but on the other hand there are some that are just as
bad at the "backyard" and "mass" breeders that try to call them selves
responsible.  They should step back from it all and ask themselves why
they are sheltering and also breeding under the guise of raising money
for the shelter.  That is Bull Crap in my mind!!  I am sorry and I know
there will be some that agree and some that don't and that is fine we are
all entitled to our own opinions.  If you have cages full of ferrets that
are in good health and need homes what is the purpose of breeding?  Don't
say it is to raise money because there are other ways and you are only
bringing more animals into the world that didn't ask to be brought in
just like children.  Don't try to fool people.  Look at why you are doing
it....isn't some of this so you can breed the best ferret to show?  Yes
you people know who I am talking about because I have seen it and I have
gone home and cried after seeing a so called "GREAT RESPONSIBLE BREEDER"
at a show who is well known push a ferret back onto a concrete floor
making it slam down because it bit her.  They were frankly nasty ferrets
and it was in the breeding and caring.  I won't say who but I was so
disgusted I had to walk away and cry.  I could have reported this woman
but she is thought of so highly in the ferret community what good would
it have done?  The other people who were there and saw it didn't think
anything of it and they now shelter and breed from one of this woman's
ferrets.  I could go and an on and the controversy is like anything else
it will be talked about, opinions voiced but nothing is going to change
and that is the sad part.  So the next time you come out and try to fool
people into thinking that you are fundraising by selling even more
ferrets think about it.... Yes we need to voice our feelings to the major
breeders but until people boycott mass produced ferrets then nothing is
going to change so let's try and give the ones that need homes good
loving homes instead of bringing more into the world.

I didn't know any better when we got our first ferret and he was a
Marshall's ferret.  I learned alot over the years and since then have
adopted many ferrets and gave them loving homes.  I care too much for
these little beings to bring another store bought ferret into my home.
Yes I have voiced my opinion.

As far as shelters doing background checks, vet ref, etc etc....let me
tell you I know of one shelter personally that gave not one but adopted
out, splitting up pairs and trios to people without proper checks and the
ferrets lived in horrible conditions only to be returned to the adopter.
Yes they came back but what hell did they go through during that time?
Checks or no checks, education or no education once they leave the
shelter person has no control over what happens and there are just plain
stupid people out there taking these animals in....enough said.  I will
get off my soapbox.

Thank you for letting me speak my mind and I am sorry if I upset the
boat with anyone and we are all entitled to our own opinions so now
let the flaming begin because I am sure it will....

Peace be with you all.....

[AD]