From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:25:03 -0700
>One should be verrrrrrry careful using dog flea products on other
>animals.  My mother put some of the dog version of an Advantage-esque
>product (don't remember which brand) on my cat.  He got very sick and
>had to be rushed to the vet, medicated, bathed and shaved.  The
>"money-saving" action cost me $500 and a lecture from the vet for
>using a product that specifically said, "not for use on cats".

Advantage for cats or dogs is the same product that is just prepackaged
in the correct size for each species.  I believe Frontline is the same
way.  I always purchase the Frontline spray as it has a better shelf
life than a vial you open and need to use or discard the leftovers.

The one you need to remember NOT to use is Advantix.  This is likely what
was used on your cat.  An easy way to remember is NIX the AdvanTIX.  (Nix
sort of means 'get rid of'' or 'put a stop to'.  No dictionary handy!)

Julie

Julie Fossa
FL (772)228-9067 winters
OH (419)225-8383 summers