From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:45:59 EDT
In a perfect world, telling the head of the workmen that you have
children and/or animals, and that no harmful materials can be left out ?
That should be all that is needed.

I just want you to know that the workmen DID know that I had animals.
They also saw meds in the kitchen for animals, and the ferret art I make,
the pictures all over of my animals, etc.  The plumber and the foreman
commented on how this had been discussed between everyone.  They thought
I was a vet tech.  ( I have a number of "unwantables" that I care for.)

I am replying on the FML to Teas kind message, as I honestly do not think
we can let ferret safety during room additions, or home improvements be
the workmans' responsibility.

Ultimately....YOU and I are the head cheese, the big kahuna, the one who
will be paying the vet bills, giving meds for the rest of the ferrets
life for the kidney damage, or even find ourselves holding a dead ferret
in our arms.

The reason that I would like people to read this is because maybe a part
of you is awkward and shy as I can be.  I can put on a good front for a
few hours and smile at strangers at parties and gatherings.  But then I
come home with my heart still racing, and the utter exhaustion of my
fight or flight response sets in.  So, I really did not feel it my right
to even look in all the bags on MY floor.  Too true.

I should have looked everywhere.  And I should have looked in every bag.
I should have tied up everything.  I did not.  My ferret will never be
the same again.  But the next time I have work done...as we all will...I
will be prepared.

Concerning letting the workmen know?...in this area...the people who
actually come in to do the work?  They do not speak English.  These men
did not..only the owner of the business and his foreman, and the plumber.
This has been true of all the work I have had done.

Also of importance*....sometimes another worker that you have not spoken
to comes in.  In my case...a plumber had to be called in twice.  I was
not home the first time he came.

Please, if I may, I would kindly disagree that once you have told
workmen, all will be well.  I have sent the first of heaven knows how
many vet bills for Lovely to the owner of the company that told me he
was the one who left out the poison.

He won't pay a thing.  That is my strong hunch.  I accept this.  HE did
this, right?  But chances are...he will never pay a penny.  I am all
right with this.  I have to be.  If I took this to court..he would deny
all knowledge.  I already see it coming.

At least he will get a hint of the damage.  He KNEW I had cats and
ferrets.  He should have known better.  Who leaves poison out on the
floor in an open bag on top of a blanket under a chair?  This should not
have happened.

However...it is my belief that the reality is that this is all MY
responsibility.  I did this.  No one was going to care more about my
little ones than me.  My little ones are defenseless, trusting little
busy bodies.

You will all have work done in your homes at some time.  If this message
saves even one life, it is worth it.

Thank you for the letters of kindness.  Thank you, Tea..