From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:37:18 EST
Hello to all.  I have a few minutes to write post before I start my days
work here at the shelter.  I want to thank Val for doing the Valentines
bedding swap and choosing our shelter to receive the bedding.  I think we
go through more bedding that just about anything else around here.  We
can't wait to get the bedding and give some more ferrets some new hammys
and such for their cages.  Thanks to all who made bedding for the swap.

We have been having a very quiet year for turn ins so far, only 38 so
far.  So I'm hoping it will be a slow year all the way through.  Last
year was just nuts!

We have 67 ferrets in house and 28 fosters.  almost all the ferrets in
house are older ferrets with medical conditions.

Right now we have a ferret, Burrr, she had her rear leg amputated a month
ago due to lymphoma, we had hoped to get it all, but her cancer has
spread into her body.  My vet and I decided to start her on chemo.  she
had her first treatment last week and is doing great.  she will get
treatment every 3 weeks.  she is such a sweet little girl I hope this
gives her a chance to live a good quality of life for a very long time.

We also have Cinnamon who has skin cancer, she starts chemo on the 15th.
Another little girl that is full of piss and vinegar, at 6 1/2 years old
she still raises cane.

The cost of the chemo is going to be aproxametly $350 to $400 a month,
with includes the bloodwork needed each time the chemo is done.

So I'm looking for ideas for a way to rise special funds each month for
them, sponsership or something.  I'm open to any ideas any one has to
offer.  I was so excited this year, with my tax refund and an unexpected
check from a past retirement account showing up, I was going to put all
the money into the vet bills and buy the shelter a digital camera that
it so desperatly needs for the webpage and to sell items on e bay.  But
instead the Ferretmobile got sick.  We now have it back, but over the
last few months it ate up over $2000 of that money.  I thank god that the
money was there to help, with out it we would have been in a big mess.
The other money is just about gone.  i put over $1500 into the ferrets
medical bills, stock up on some food and litter, got a few ferret goodies
for our open house this fall.  There is a little money left and thats in
their account to help buy food and litter this week and to pay more on
the vet bills.

All my co workers thought I was nuts to put all my personal money into
the ferrets account, but I really have nothing personally that I really
need or want.  I was told i should buy clothes, get a haircut, lol, to
do something for myself.  so I did, I bought some new socks and it feels
good to have socks with no holes in the toes!

Also thanks again to Dave and Cindy and Kelly for tolerating me and being
my taxi for the last month so I could get to the vets and to work.  Ok
next subject, Pet A Palooza, its a great event we have been doing since
it started 5 years ago.  We will be there again this year, March 27th.
We will have the ferrets there and we had an electric scooter, brand new
donated to raffle off.  All proceeds to go to the medical fund for the
ferrets.  So come by and see us if your in Las Vegas!

Godzilla was a hero again this week, he donated blood for a transfusion
for a very sick ferret my vet was treating.  I don't know the ferret but
my vet said the ferret is doing great now and back home with her owners.
i'm so proud of my big boy.

We were also part of a taping at my vets office yesterday for a show to
air on Animal Planet called Vegas Vets, were hoping the ferret segment
will make it on air.  We had Burrr, Critter and Clownface on it.  I'll
post when I know when it airs!

Ok enough talk, now to work.  Thanks for listening.

Take care,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"