Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:19:25 -0700
I have been cutting back on raisins for our ferret because of the high level
of sticky sugar.  Since I do a lot of cooking of chicken and beef I have
started offering her special treat when I cook.  The first time we offered
her some chicken breast she turned her nose up at it.  So I tricked her into
trying it by rubbing ferretone on a piece.

One thing she loves is is the tough chewy part of a steak where the meat
meets the fat.  I generally offer her a piece every few days when we have
steak or london broil.  This gives her a chance to work the jaws and these
back cutting teeth in a way that she can't with ferret kibble.

The pleasure she gets from chewing and shaking a piece of gristle is
obvious, and hopefully this will reduce her craving for rubber bands and
shoe soles.  She look so happy, eyes closed, muscles bulging on top of her
head, pure ferret please.

I have found that if I season or marinade the meat she will often turn it
down, I generally wash the piece of cooked meat under cold water to remove
most of the spices.

In all cases I only give her cooked meat, since I do not want to risk a food
poisoned ferret.

Brad