From:
Paul Plagge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 00:27:52 -0700
On Monday, I Express-mailed a letter to Governor Engler asking him to please
release Kodo to Mr. Jacobs.  I included my favorite photos of my two babies,
Gizzy and Holly (couldn't hurt).  I also included info from MA legislation
to legalize ferrets which included a provision for a quarantine period in
bite cases.  Mass has a 10-day quarantine period.  When I got home today
there was a message on my answering machine from a reporter for the Bay City
Times, MI.  Somehow he received a copy of my letter and wanted to interview
me for an article about Kodo's nationwide attention.  This is how a few of
the Q&A's went:

Q.  Are ferrets legal in MA?
A.  Yes, since March 7, 1996.  We have a 10-day quarantine period for
    ferret-caused injury to a person.
Q.  How did you hear about Kodo?
A.  FML!!!
Q.  Why do you/so many people care about Kodo?
A.  Kodo is everybody's ferret.  I couldn't imagine if one of my babies was
    taken away.  I can't even describe the bond I have with my ferrets- I
    guess you have to own a ferret to fully understand.  When people ask me
    if I have children, I answer "yes, and they have four legs!"
Q.  Is it fair that tax payers' money and all this court time is wasted
    for one ferret?
A.  It's not just one ferret.  It's the future for all ferrets in MI and
   other states that have a 'kill and test' policy.  But I agree that MI
   Public Health Dept shouldn't be wasting taxpayers' money to pursue this
   case, when it's obvious that Kodo does not have rabies!  I can't think
   of what else he asked me, but I babbled on.

The reporter told me that according to the Governor's Press Secretary, the
Governor does not have the legal power to help Kodo, and he does not want to
take a side in this case.  Also, the Governor would not read letters from
people out-of-state.  But my letter got through to someone.  And I can't
beleive the Governor doesn't have any influence.  So I say keep writing &
send some photos (doesn't hurt}!  I think it's important to show ferrets as
the lovable little fuzzies that they are (loyal companion just like the
family dog).

Hugs and kisses to you, Kodo!

--Jill Northrup
(gizzy-goo and holly-wog, too!)

[Moderator's note: Lots more very interesting Kodo stuff later in this FML.
We're getting down to the wire!  BIG]