From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:06:18 -0800
This is an appeal to those in California who are interested in LEGALLY
being involved in the transport/temporary shelter of ferret in
California. Others may scroll on by as you wish. :)

We would like to work with you!

If you are interested in volunteering for relays from animal control,
DFG, humane organizations, etc...to an out of state shelter or to the
in-state licensed shelter please let me know.

Also, if you think you might qualify as a temporary California ferret
shelter...please let me know.

AND...if you are holding a valid transportation permit from DFG, please
let me know so we can work together (we keep hearing about all these
rescuers who allegedly have permits, but no one steps up).

It is going to be a while yet before fuzzies are legalized in
California. In the meantime, CDFEA has been doing what we can to help
alleviate the burden placed on out of state shelters when they have to
take in emergency cases from California. Through temporary sheltering,
we can hold on to these little ones legally until there is an out of
state opening available. CDFEA does not handle private surrenders,
only those ferrets in the custody of DFG or humane organizations.

With regard to the posting yesterday of the ferret listed on petfinders
through Long Beach Animal Control. We have had issues in the past with
their refusals to confirm who they are giving these ferrets to. They
claim to be "working with" someone in Southern California, however,
there are no other legal DFG permit holders in S. California according
to DFG. This naturally raises concerns over where these little ones are
going...and hopefully it is not to some druggie trying to make a profit
for more drugs or worse, to the dog fighters who use ferrets to agitate
the dogs for a fight. Hopefully whomever this animal control office is
"working with" is on this board and will make contact with us, if only
so we can confirm the ferrets are going somewhere safe where they won't
be seized...or worse.

Regards,
Bonnie Tormohlen/Director

California Domestic Ferret Educational Alliance
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc