From:
Brenda Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 05:01:29 -0400
Passing this on for further help - a devastating fire at a sanctuary
in Lockport NY Brenda

Lakeview Animal Sanctuary

This past Tuesday night, 9-11-12, Lakeview Animal Sanctuary, in
Pendleton, suffered a tragic loss. A fire broke out as hay and straw
were being lifted into the loft of their barn. The result was the
entire barn being engulfed in flames within 10 minutes.

Sandy Pfohl, owner of Lakeview Animal Sanctuary is beyond grief
stricken. Around 8pm, Sandy and her helpers were loading a fresh load
of hay and straw into the loft when they saw what they thought at the
time to be dust in the air. They turned on the fans so that they could
continue and suddenly, the noticed that smoke was rolling out from the
far corner. As they scrambled to remove the animals, the smoke suddenly
burst into flames.

As Sandy and the others tried to save the animals, the barn became
engulfed. One of her helpers had to drag her out, kicking and
screaming, as she tried effortlessly to save her animals. Some of her
hair was singed and her rescuer suffered minor burn damages to his arm.
As she was being dragged out, the ceiling collapse within feet of her.
If it weren't for the bravery of her helper, Pete, Sandy would have
perished along with her animals. Sandy Pfohl had to be held back as
her animals screamed in agony, while the barn burnt down around them.
Her words at that time were, "Why didn't you just let me die with my
animals?"

All of the animals at her sanctuary came with their own tales of either
extreme abuse or from saddened owners that had to turn them over for
one reason or another. Sandy wept all day, saying, "All of those
animals trusted me to take care of them."

The fire could not have been foreseen. What is believed to have
happened is that there must have been a wire in the loft that may have
been chewed on by a mouse, causing it to short out by the vibration of
them loading the hay/straw, causing a fatal spark.

Some of the animals were Woolworth, a lamb celebrity, that Sandy had
to bottle feed and raise when its own mother rejected it from birth.
It looked up to Sandy as if she was his mother. She screamed out his
name, but he was too afraid to come out and sadly perished along with
his brother, Oreo, another celebrity at her petting zoo's. Thomas T.
Butterball was fortunately saved and is now being housed at a friends
farm for now.. All of her horses and donkeys were saved and a few of
her rabbits. One of the potbelly pigs ran back into the barn and
perished in the flames along with the others. At first, it was reported
on Channel 4 news that the death toll was around 36, but by the end of
tonight, it was sadly discovered that it was much higher then that.
Through tears, one of her volunteers informed Sandy that sadly the
death toll was almost 70 animals.

Ironically, this tragedy happened on 9-11 and all that remained of the
barn were two walls, parallel to one another, causing this tragedy to
bring even more grief to all those that saw it.

The outpouring of people that showed up today, was beyond heart
warming. Her driveway was lined with people, all coming together to
help in one way or another. As they all walked back and saw the
devastation with their own eyes, the tears began to flow, from so many.

Next Thursday, 9-20-12 at 7:30pm, there will be a candle-light vigil
out front of the Sanctuary, at 5180 Fiegle Rd. in Pendleton. We are
also going to be accepting physical volunteers this Saturday, 9-15,12,
after 10am to continue with the clean-up efforts.

Anyone interested in making a donation may do so in several ways, her
website: LakeviewAnimalSanctuary.org and click on donate, going to Key
Bank on Transit, or by mailing a check or money order.

Sandy lost everything, but as she put it, "None of those things matter
to me as much as the loss of all of my babies do. That is what REALLY
hurts the most."

Some of the items that are needed are building materials, for a new
barn, old blankets for the animals, harnesses, shovels & rakes, any pet
care items, fencing, volunteers, hay, straw, any monetary donations and
physical volunteers to help in the cleaning of debris and the building
of a new barn. I'd like to take this moment and thank you in advance
for your time and consideration. Any prayers and donations are greatly
appreciated. May none of us ever have to endure the great loss that
Sandy has.

Things we need donated:
Cases of water, to keep the volunteers well hydrated

shovels, rakes, old blankets, plastic totes, plastic garbage cans,
animal feed, Horse, Goat, Llama, sheep, pig, dog, cat hay & straw
(as most of it went up in flames),

building materials, a storage shed to hold the donations and feed,
harnesses, saddles, animal brushes, wool sheers and any other pet
care/supply product.

Drop them right at the sanctuary 5180 Fiegle Rd, Pendleton.
Or at the address below. I will make sure everything is taken promptly
to the farm and I have receipts for your tax deduction if you need one.

ALSO
Saturday 10 am and Sunday 10am.
We need folks to help with clean up. Bring your own shovels, rakes,
wheelbarrels, etc. Strong stomach's and back's are also needed. The
stomach's because of the dead animals that are still being found.
Please don't bring children to young to handle the saddness and trauma.
But anyone willing to help witht he physical clean up is welcome and
appreciated.

The address is:
Lakeview animal sanctuary
5180 Fiegl road (is off Bear ridge or Campbell Blvd. runs East west)
Town Lockport, NY 14094

I will see you there when I'm not at the shop.

p.s.
I need to ask folks PLEASE don't call the shelter phone number. The
phone is blowing off the hook. I know everyone means well, BUT If
you have questions please contact us on this facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/LakeviewAnimalSanctuary?ref=stream
and all the board members will be happy to answer your questions or
you can contact Angela Blackley at (716)439-5144 or
[log in to unmask] with questions. I hope you understand,
Thank You!

Angela Blackley
Herbal Magick inc
402 West ave.
Lockport,NY 14094
716-439-5144
http://www.herbalmagickinc.com/
Website is broken, Please call me with your orders
Tuesday-Friday 10-7
Saturday 10-4
http://www.facebook.com/angelablackley
http://www.facebook.com/herbalmagickinc